Seve Tournament announces Piers Morgan amongst team captains
Seve Legends Tournament press release
With openings still remaining for amateur teams to participate in the inaugural Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament, scheduled Nov. 29-Dec. 1 at Pebble Beach, event organizers today released a partial list of the celebrities who will serve as captains to the 18 four-player teams.
With golfing legends and more celebrities set to formally commit to the event in the ensuing weeks, here is a look at those have firmed up their participation:
- Piers Morgan (host of CNN’s “Piers Morgan Tonight”)
- Len Goodman (judge on American TV show, “Dancing With The Stars”)
- Chris Noth (American TV actor, “The Good Wife”)
- George Lopez (American film and TV actor, standup comedian)
- Dennis Haysbert (American film and TV actor)
- Ioan Gruffudd (Welsh film, TV and theater actor)
Other celebrity captains include actors Jason Isaacs, JJ Field, George Lazenby, Jamie Bamber, Carlos Bernard and Peter Weller; comedian/actor Cheech Marin, and fashion model Jodie Kidd.
With amateur team openings still remaining, the tournament will celebrate Ballesteros and his non-profit foundation with a par-3 tournament on Pebble Beach’s Peter Hay Golf Course. The event will bring together teams of amateur golfers playing for the Legends Trophy in a Ryder Cup-like format. Nine teams from the United States will take on nine European teams in an 18-hole tournament on Thursday, Nov. 29, with each team captained by a well-known celebrity or golfing legend. Play will take place amid a festive environment with live music and DJs, fine food and wine, TV screens broadcasting from around the course and more attractions.
Amateur golfers are invited to participate, with each team member to receive:
- Ground transportation between Monterey Regional Airport (MRY) and Pebble Beach
- Invitation to Opening Night Reception (Wednesday, Nov. 28)
- Four nights lodging (double occupancy) at The Inn at Spanish Bay in Pebble Beach
- Participation in the Legends Tournament, including food and beverages throughout the event
- Post-tournament Champagne Reception and Gala Dinner with live entertainment, prizes and charity auction at the exclusive Beach & Tennis Club in Pebble Beach (Thursday, Nov. 29)
- One round of golf at The Links at Spanish Bay (Friday, Nov. 30)
- One round of golf at Pebble Beach Golf Links (Saturday, Dec. 1)
- Official team golf shirt and luxury goodie bag
- Invitation to Closing Reception (following golf on Dec. 1)
Registration per team of four is $35,000 (£24,000), with fundraising from the Legends Tournament going to the Seve Ballesteros Foundation, which Seve himself set up in partnership with Cancer Research UK in 2009 to raise money for research into brain tumors. Seve was diagnosed with a brain tumor in October 2008 and it took his life less than three years later. Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research.
To participate in the Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament, e-mail [email protected], or call:
- USA: 1-800-761-2932
- UK: 0845-177-1617
More information about the Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament is available by visiting www.sevelegends.com.