Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Awesome Wedge Play

Posted by: user275144 | Mon 30th Nov 2009 20:09 | Last Reply

This was great, and not the first time it has happened. Great to do it in that pressure situation though. Fast forward to 5.26.

re: Awesome Wedge Play
user52922
Reply : Mon 30th Nov 2009 20:16

Very nicely executed shot, Steve.

user25349
Reply : Mon 30th Nov 2009 21:17

I watched this when SKy Sports aired it.. Very nice..

Steve, if you don't mind sharing, I'm interested to know what your yardages are for each club in your bag?

The reason I ask is because your swing looks effortless and not what would I consider fast.  I know timing and having everything work together is vital, and that is what interests me about the yardages you hit.

Cheers.

user9368
Reply : Mon 30th Nov 2009 21:54

Lovely shot Steve and to be caught on camera what more could you ask for.

Colin

user25349
Reply : Mon 30th Nov 2009 21:57

Thanks, I just wanted an insight really.. What is an average swing speed? Or does it really depend on each individual?

Is there a particular reason as to why you don't swing at 100%?

user52922
Reply : Mon 30th Nov 2009 22:23

Is there a particular reason as to why you don't swing at 100%?

I always used to swing with plenty to spare, it certainly helps the balance as well as giving more control.

user99350
Reply : Tue 1st Dec 2009 10:49

Lovely action Steve and a great result. What club did you use there? It looked like a 56/60* lob but then the trajectory and landing looked low (great backspin 2nd bounce). Also at your level does your lie determine a fly to the pin or a pitch or does that not matter? (for me sometimes I will use my 60* if it's a good lie only...on the practice pitch I hit them as they lie and there's not much difference but out on the course I lack the confidence) and which would you prefer to do?

user23840
Reply : Tue 1st Dec 2009 19:32

Nice one Steve.

Are you signing up for the South?

user25349
Reply : Tue 1st Dec 2009 19:56

Wayne, unfortunately he didn't.. He lost in a play-off to European Tour player Phil Archer..

user23840
Reply : Wed 2nd Dec 2009 00:10

Not been on for a while, but nice to see somethings don't change. Apart from Waynes handicap I see. Well done big boy.

user24437
Reply : Wed 2nd Dec 2009 00:15

Danny!  Thought you'd disappeared off the face of the earth.  Signed up for the N v S yet?

user99350
Reply : Wed 2nd Dec 2009 16:15

Many thanks for tht Steve. I was out practicing today and wish I read it before. I'll give it a go as my 60* can vary between 60 (getting under the ball) and 75 yds (good solid full swing) which is unacceptable really. You've got me thinking, cheers.

user115085
Reply : Wed 2nd Dec 2009 16:32

Steve, it's on Monday 12th April and being held at The Abbey golf club in Redditch...

http://www.golfshake.com/news/northvsouth/2010/

any news on the full package yet Darren? (practice round/stop over/meal etc) 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 14:43

Yes full info now on the respective pages:

North - http://www.golfshake.com/golf/view/5798/

South - http://www.golfshake.com/golf/view/5797/

The Sunday night dinner will more than likely be in a private dining areaso will also include the quiz like last year plus we will also try and sort something out for the Masters coverage that evening.

user115085
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 17:40

so I've just had to re-register since the event is now duplicated?? what happens to those that signed up first time round and don't notice the new event pages in time??

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 21:11

Chris see my reply here and sorry for the confusion -

http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/5288/North_V_South_question.html

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 4th Dec 2009 11:34

Back on track this is the article to average distances for Amateurs

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/1327/How_far_should_you_hit_each_golf_club.html

user99350
Reply : Fri 11th Dec 2009 08:40

Well it's a choice of being under the thumb at home or under the cosh on the course.

user38216
Reply : Fri 11th Dec 2009 19:16

The southerners should watch out, apparently the shandy is quite strong this far north

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 11th Dec 2009 19:58

Not sure if it counts but 1-0 to the North today   I shall say no more

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 11th Dec 2009 20:23

Technically 2-0 but everyone will argue my matchplay format today was a load of rubbish!

user26342
Reply : Fri 11th Dec 2009 20:38

Me & Tim took a few southern scalps a few weeks back so that makes it 3-0.

user52922
Reply : Fri 11th Dec 2009 22:06

The important one is next April.

user52922
Reply : Fri 11th Dec 2009 22:57

I think they have chosen this venue to drag us all down into the mire. The company was great as usual, but that has to be the worst golf course in the world. I very much doubt it will recover enough by April to make it an enjoyable event.

user26342
Reply : Wed 23rd Dec 2009 21:10

This is being shown on Ch402 on Sky Sports right now!!!

user26342
Reply : Wed 23rd Dec 2009 22:51

The tournament that Steve was competing in which his video link was referring to at the start of this thread. Steve - it was a lucky putt of Phil's

user26342
Reply : Thu 24th Dec 2009 09:05

Wayne I was having a bit of banter / joke !!!!!!!!!

user52922
Reply : Thu 24th Dec 2009 10:47

Paul, I was talking to David Ley last night and he mentioned to me how impressed he was with your short game, which leads me to believe that you have realised the importance of this part of the game enough to have  studied it more closely than you ever did before. Well done.

Luck can play a part, of course, but usually only skill will consistently put you in a position to make ones par from anywhere within the 150 yard mark. That is the distance I only work on in trying to get  down in 2 and at the most 3. It is this ability that keeps me in the game with my poor driving skills.

Not so easy on a strange course but on ones own, where all the slopes are embedded within the brain then playing shots to leave the easy putt are the order of the day.

It is often beneficial when one is confident of getting up and down to even miss the green on the safe side.

To score really well then greens have to be hit in regulation but that does not mean that a good score cannot be made if one has the ability to consistently chip the ball close all the time. I am not so good now but at one time I considered that part of the game a formality. Success breeds confidence and confidence, as we all know, is vital to play this game well.

The scoring part of this game is the short game and is the most important.

Last edit : Thu 24th Dec 2009 13:37
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 24th Dec 2009 13:58

Topic just for the discussion on Paul's question on skill or luck

http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/5398/Discussion_needed.html

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top