Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

North V South question

Posted by: user127343 | Thu 3rd Dec 2009 17:54 | Last Reply

Hi all,

Someone told me I can still register to play in this comp. Is this true or are all the places taken?

If there is  a vacancy can someone please post a link to where I can register as I cant find it on the site,

PS I reside in the North ,

regards,

Michael.

re: North V South question
user16163
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 18:03

all the current spots have been taken micheal but you can still register for the standby list

see here

http://www.golfshake.com/golf/view/5749/

user24437
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 18:12

Er, why are there two separate sights for registration?  The latest one from Darren R's link says that there are only 26 registered.

user127343
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 18:21

Thanks for the prompt response.

I clicked on the link posted by Darren and clicked on "register"

Then it shows the following

Players  40
Your status:Confirmed

So it appears thst there is 57 players registered but only 40 spaces available. Assuming its done byfirst come first sreved I guess i am the 17th reserve lol.</p><p>Anyway Im registered  now  - just got wait to see how things pan out,

Thanks for your help.

regards,

Michael.

user106712
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 18:23
user127343
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 18:31

I have also registered on the link posted by Adrian.

Now I get this

Players      40
Your status:Confirmed

Now I am confused,

regards,

Michael

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 3rd Dec 2009 21:10

Hi all, sorry for being a bit vague with all of this.

Wayne did a great job of seeing if we could get the numbers up from 32 per team to 40 per team and in testing the interest for 2010.  This is where we have 40+ people registered.

I've now confirmed the official final details and created 'official' games on the site. Hence the confusion.

Due to the exceptional interest in this event and demand I felt it only fair to limit the initial invitation to take part in this event.

Firstly, I've invited anyone who's played in an NvS this year.

Next, I will then be inviting those who registered an early interest on Wayne's games but basing on a first come first served given Wayne's games got 40+ and the teams are limited to 40. Aside, the list is alphabetically but I can see the actual registration order.

The events will be then open to all.  

Does this make sense ? and hope you all understand the way I am confirming this and my vague notification on the site.

Regards, Darren.

user38216
Reply : Sat 5th Dec 2009 13:10

Fantastic, I put my name down to play the North V South nice and early only to find out that the whole registration process was just a test.

I'm now 42nd in a group of 40. Great.

user52922
Reply : Sat 5th Dec 2009 13:35

I personlly believe that the 40 names for each team that were listed under Waynes thread are the ones that should automatically be filled in on the official version.

The South were very happy with the team they had so I can only assume that the North are looking to better their team with late entrants.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 5th Dec 2009 14:39

David, not a test.  Wayne's events were to gage interest etc

I've now created the OFFICIAL events with full information, dates, times, costs etc people will be confirmed to these based on order they registered on Wayne's event which I can tell.

Regards, Darren.

user52922
Reply : Sat 5th Dec 2009 15:05

Perhaps then it would have been wise to have removed Waynes posts stating at the time that an official request for participants would be made at a later date.

We now have a situation with giving exclusive rights to those who have played in this event before to the detriment of those newcomers to the site who would have wished to participate, yet cannot yet apply because of this rule.

Any entry list should be first come first served, irrespective of time served on Golfshake, either that or the Captains pick the teams themselves.

Last edit : Sat 5th Dec 2009 15:38
user52922
Reply : Sat 5th Dec 2009 16:03

He must be a "green"

user50657
Reply : Sat 5th Dec 2009 17:32

Darren am I reading the registration rules correctly?

If you registered on Waynes original list then your name should now be on the list in the new Official game list? 

Just my name is no longer on the official list but I registered very early on Waynes list.

This was for the north team.

user52922
Reply : Sat 5th Dec 2009 20:45

You are number 13 on the list Lewis.I have just checked.

user52922
Reply : Sat 5th Dec 2009 20:52

http://www.golfshake.com/golf/view/5798/player/

Everyone is on the waiting list at present.

user50657
Reply : Sat 5th Dec 2009 21:36

I think everyone is a bit puzzled by this now.

I originally registered on Waynes thread.

Just seen the pm from Darren about the official list. When I look at that everybody bar 1 person is on the waiting list. There are 43 names for the North team and I'm not listed there and there are only 40 players so guess I'm not 1 of the chosen ones lol

user11501
Reply : Sat 5th Dec 2009 23:16

Personally as the North Captain I have not been involved in Darren's newly created list.However, with that being said I think it is only fair that the first 40 names on Wayne's original list should be the ones who are given first refusal on the chance to be on the team. This is my opinion.

Whatever happens I will be honoured to lead a team of great golfers of all skills in a sporting contest aginst an opposing captain who I take to be a freind.

But I will also note that I am a very competitive person which will be confirmed by other golfshakers who know me and who have played with me. I am there to win the trophy back and I know that also goes for my team.

I like a previous comment also which would be an interesting concept. Maybe the Captain shouldn't pick the whole team but maybe have a number of "Captain's Picks". But maybe for a future year.

user38216
Reply : Sun 6th Dec 2009 10:53

I now see that a £10 deposit is required to confirm places. Is there a link to make payment, will this be capped when numbers reached....HELP!

user26342
Reply : Sun 6th Dec 2009 14:06

I think 1st come 1st served is the only real fair way otherwise 'newbies' may never get a chance of playing in a NvS, saying that I don't envy Darrens job as he will never please everyone.

user231725
Reply : Sun 6th Dec 2009 15:59

am i now down to 50th!!so now iam not playing!!how do i keep slipping down the order when more people register?

Hi John

I think the reason you slip down the list as people register is because the list is in alphabetical order.  Therefore, anyone with a surname beginning A-R will be added to the list above you.

No doubt Darren has a list of the original sign-ups so that he knows the date and time of those who had previously registered.  I think it will sort itself out in the wash.

I totally agree with the comments that it should be first come first served.  

user77012
Reply : Sun 6th Dec 2009 18:16

There's no pleasing some people especially if, dare I say it Northerners!!

user77012
Reply : Sun 6th Dec 2009 22:23

Possibly the person who put the first one up without all the details on it Mmmm

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 09:13

Hi all, yep take on board and agree with the comments.  Not the most perfect system and everyone has forgotten about the 1st TBC event that got deleted 3 months ago as well.

This will all be sorted today hopefully in the most fairest way.I will also be ensuring everyone is confirmed up ASAP by deposits which will hopefully stop all the admin/chasing I normally have to do right up until the last minute to confirm players.  Plus the usual trying to rope in last minute players to get event team numbers.

Not a question for now but for 2011 there seems 2 options:

1, A pre announced registration date and then done on a first come first served basis

2, Team selection via some predefined system. 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 12:46

3 things

1, Gage is another way of writing gauge and nothing wrong   

2, John, have removed those old events although I have full details of who registered when

3, Events page are being updated to confirm players, plus are ordered based on registration date so you can see where you are on the liste (at this time only North done)

user26342
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 13:14

Well done Darren,

user99350
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 13:40

Darren, I've just rec'd an email vis pm from you requesting payment for confirmation but I'm no longer on the list to play on the events page?? Am I playing or do I give this up as a bad job?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 13:46

Patrick you are on the list, currently 29

http://www.golfshake.com/golf/view/5798/

the list is now not alphabetically because people wanted to know who had registered in what order.  I suppose in reality the confirmed could still be in alpha order with those on the waiting list in order of registration.

Regards, Darren.

user11501
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 14:30

Darren,

A few questions. Can you now confirm the following:-

1. Those players who registered on the original  list as set up by Wayne are now on the official list in the order at which thy signed up. This is the fairest way to operate the sign up in my opinion.

2. Why have we only got 35 confirmed players when there are 40 players in a team.

Can I also have some sort of group mailing facility so I can contact my 40 players when we have finally sorted out who is or is not in the 40.I would like to officially start to formalise my team and look at pairings etc. I assume Dave Ley my counterpart for the south would like to do the same.

We need to end all the confusion that is still being discussed in the above posts. 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 15:05

1. Those players who registered on the original  list as set up by Wayne are now on the official list in the order at which thy signed up. This is the fairest way to operate the sign up in my opinion.

>> No not all of the original are on the list but ALL have been notified.  As you would appreciate when you announce the OFFICIAL details, info and costs not everyone will still be able to play.

2. Why have we only got 35 confirmed players when there are 40 players in a team.

>> Given the reply to the 1st question.  After today this will become 40 confirmed.

3. Can I also have some sort of group mailing facility so I can contact my 40 players when we have finally sorted out who is or is not in the 40

>> Yes

user99350
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 17:57

Darren, ok thanks. Is there anyway you can get rid of all the out of date lists and have one master list. It would save any further hassle for you.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 19:53

Patrick, all other lists were removed earlier today.  I have backups and spreadsheets of all data though

user99350
Reply : Tue 8th Dec 2009 08:41

Thanks Darren, cheque in the post. Thanks to Wayne also for allthe effort getting this underway.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top