Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Starting Them Young!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 31st Jul 2009 22:22 | Last Reply

My daughter, Samantha, is seven years old.

She goes once a week to a group golf lesson.  Seven kids in the group and the coaching last one hour.  She enjoys it.

Now they do go through a couple of different types of shots, but most seem to be the mid irons.

I remember many years ago reading in a golf magazine about how the scandinavian countries teach their youngster.

From what I can remember it stated that they would start teaching young children putting and chipping.  The reason being that they were probably not strong enough to swing a golf club properly.

As the child grew and got stronger then they would move them onto pitch shots and then half shot, etc.

Now looking at this I can see the logic in it.

Imagine if you walked onto the golf course and you were already a good putter and chipper of the ball!

Now do you think we teach kids the wrong way around in this country?

Russ

re: Starting Them Young!
user77012
Reply : Fri 31st Jul 2009 23:21

Without a doubt Russ the best way to teach is from the green back to the tee and not enough enphesis is placed on this fact, Phil Mick comes to mind who as we know had a short game area at home to practice as a child. It appears to me that it's far easier to lenghten a swing than to shorten.The first clubs I built my 5 yr old was a little putter and a wedge.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 31st Jul 2009 23:37

The new "Tri-Golf" is aimed at the younger end. The idea is to get the youngsters interested in the game so that they WANT to learn more.

It used to be said, "Let them play about with a Club and Ball and learn the hand & eye co-ordination so they learned to Find the Ball".

TheLyth

user40826
Reply : Sat 1st Aug 2009 06:11

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top