Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Trilby Tour

Posted by: user466742 | Mon 8th Jul 2013 14:33 | Last Reply

Anyone ever entered this? Seems to be a decent enough amateur comp. Anyone know roughly the kind of handicap you'd need to be able to be competitive in this? Is it worth the money to enter? £275 is a lot of money for entry compared with a normal club comp.

Cheers,

Andy

re: Trilby Tour
user80078
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 15:11

I've seen this tour on television before. The standard appears to be around scratch from what I 've seen.

user466742
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 16:47

That's exactly what i thought. Although their website says minimum requirement of an 18 handicap. Just wondered if anyone of a higher handicap had ever entered & has any wisdom to share. Hoping to drop my handicap down to a low teen & enter next year!

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 17:28

Hi Andrew,

Following on from what Michael has said, the standard of the golf is pretty impressive from a handicap of 5 downwards really and some of their events are broadcast on Sky. They obviously do want people to enter so that shouldn't put you off as I'm sure they do get higher handicappers applying but possibly the best thing is to drop them an email directly to get a company line just to be sure.

http://www.williamhunttrilbytour.com/contact/contact-us.html

user43166
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 17:47

A friend of mine has entered it this year. He is playing off 19 now although he may have been off 18 when he entered. I guess they will just cap him at 18; hope they don't chuck him out!!

I wouldn't worry about not having a low handicap - your money is a good as anyone's. It is expensive but you get some gear (whether you want it or not) - I think this includes Trilby Tour bag, Trilby hat and caddie suit (you seem to have to get someone to caddie for you).

From what I saw on TV last year, I seem to remember some really high scores coming in off 3/4 handicap. But let's not start the bandit thing again.

Tends to be oversubscribed but you can go onto a wait list for the following year if you don't make it in.

user338942
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 20:18

I played against the guy who was runner-up in the matchplay event last year. Says its a cracking competition to enter providing of course you get yourself to the finals

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 21:03
user338942
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 22:28

Having played it yesterday, I can confirm the final is worth getting to at Rockliffe. Outstanding facility. Shame its x5 my membership fee though....

user24437
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 23:45

I was caddy for one of our CGL guys at the opening event at Worsley Park a few weeks ago and all I can say is that it's not for the faint hearted. It's as close to a pro tournament that I'll ever get to, but a great experience. Had the tour bag (which was pretty crap actually and fell to pieces - supplied by direct golf - nuff said), the overalls and Rob had the full outfit. Then the pressure starts, Sky TV cameras on the first tee, starter and worst of all the massive leaderboard with live scoring. We were out with a couple of low handicappers and a former course winner and to say that the first few holes were tense would be an understatement, luckily they have spotters! Don't expect much banter, which is why a caddy is needed for moral support at least. Scores need to be given to the marshals every few holes for the leaderboard so I just took it upon myself to keep Rob away so he didn't know how he was doing and freeze.

In the end he played the last few holes really well, shot 35 points and qualified for Rockcliffe with a cracking par on the last. The sight of 6 or 7 players having their names ripped from the leaderboard was something to experience.

Not sure if I'd want to play in it, but am really looking forward to pulling on the overalls for the final.

user338942
Reply : Tue 9th Jul 2013 00:36

Its a long long course and plenty of HUGE bunkers to catch you out. You'll have a great day even just walking round there. Cracking course

user24437
Reply : Tue 9th Jul 2013 01:29

I've heard it's long Dave, bit worried about the boys driving so we're getting a round in the day before, show him how it's done

user466742
Reply : Tue 9th Jul 2013 09:16

Thanks for the responses chaps. Sounds pretty awesome. I kind of expected the lack of good general banter as it does look pretty serious on the TV! I think i'm going to have to get my handicap down & enter next year. Tim enjoy the final caddying for your mate! Bet he cannot wait!

user338942
Reply : Tue 9th Jul 2013 20:05

Give me a shout nearer the time Tim and I'll come round. I'm in Darlington so only a few miles away

user24437
Reply : Tue 9th Jul 2013 20:54

It's the 28th of August Dave (I'll remind you though) - you won't be able to miss me, I'll be the short arse caddy in the XXL overalls, it was all they had left....

user26342
Reply : Tue 9th Jul 2013 21:43

I was going to enter this year but couldn't get in quick enough & spaces go fast. I'm hoping that playing in monthly medals off back tees with a terrace full of blokes watching would put me in good stead?

Tim, were you around for any rogues gallery?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 9th Jul 2013 21:49

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200664803935050&set=t.1648275700&type=1&theater

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top