Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

can you go from high handicapper to scratch?

Posted by: user437159 | Fri 10th Feb 2012 21:19 | Last Reply

in one year? ive read the blog 'novice2scratch' and he didn't quite make it. so do you think it's possible to do so in such a short time?

re: can you go from high handicapper to scratch?
user437159
Reply : Fri 10th Feb 2012 22:13

when you look at it, it seems simple - hit the fairway, hit the green - two putt - easy! but its how you do that is the hard bit...

user52922
Reply : Fri 10th Feb 2012 22:27

Well, I made 4 handicap in six months but it took another year to get to scratch.

user437159
Reply : Fri 10th Feb 2012 23:06

what an achievement john! how did you make it to such a high level in such a short amount of time?

user77012
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 00:09

Liam, because he had natural talent. Statistically most scratch golfers achieve scratch within 2yrs.

user250721
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 12:13

Only those that have the natural talent required would be able to do that within a year IMO. Its a tough ask.

I think this would also back up the comment Dave made about most scratch golfers doing so within 2 years.

user38216
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 13:55

I would say if you have been 20 plus for more than 2 years, you would never make a scratch golfer.  There has to be some talent there not just teaching.

user430247
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 19:08

yep , play 7 days aweek , and go 4 it ,,, i,am going 2 try to go from my 24 handicap down to under 10 in this yr , , so the new clubs r on the way ,,,

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 19:41

It is fairly easy to get into single figures inside a year but once you are off 6 or 7 then the struggle starts.

To achieve a 'Scratch Handicap' through a Web-site like GS is alot easier than doing it under CONGU.

TheLyth

user437159
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 19:54

how do you mean by fairly easy? how? im only asking as i was inspired by the novice2scratch challenge. my target handicap is eight by the end of the year.

Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 20:07

Liam,

Most Golf Courses have a Par and SSS around the same number so to get to a 9hcp you need to par half the holes and only drop one shot at the others. Once you can hit the ball consistently and have a good idea where it is going it is a reachable target.

I have seen many youngsters reach single figures inside a year (I took 10 weeks to get from 19 to 7) but then get no lower in many years of trying.

TheLyth

user437159
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 20:17

i understand what you mean, most people (espicially experienced players) say that you could be the worst ball striker in the world but, if you can chip and putt , you can shoot around par. do you think this is true as i believe you were a member of the PGA?

user52922
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 20:27

Liam, you cannot fluke your way round a golf course. The ball must be struck consistently well, with excellent precision.

The really good players hit a lot of greens in regulation, the not so good players do not hit many greens but there some of these who have a short game good enough to keep them in the mix.

The solution is a reliable and repeatable swing coupled with a fine putting touch and a knack of being able to get up and down when a green is missed.

Last edit : Mon 13th Feb 2012 15:03
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 20:52

A couple of saying to remember.

"Top, Shank, Thin, Putt, Par, goes down as a four and doesn't tell how it was done"

"A worm botherer into a gale can go just as far as a perfectly struck shot"

The top players will play badly and shoot under 80. The art of being a good golfer is to stop dropping 'silly shots'.

TheLyth

Last edit : Sat 11th Feb 2012 20:52
user38216
Reply : Sun 12th Feb 2012 15:43

Very true, guilty as charged!!!

user369251
Reply : Mon 13th Feb 2012 13:49

I got to my lowest handicap score around Sept/Oct last year when I had 4 weeks off straight, and was able to practice almost every day. Since then, very little time off and scores have gone up again... Totally agree with everyone though, in that most would get down to a low handicap, but only the exceptional ones would get to scratch. In an ideal world, we'd all give it a go.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top