Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ping Eye 2 irons

Posted by: user259181 | Sun 5th Feb 2012 11:08 | Last Reply

I've aquired a set of Ping Eye2 irons, I believe these are the set that has the wedges that caused a stir in 2010 on the pro circuit

Now I understand that in the USA (USGA ruled) they are ok to use for amateurs until at least 2024....but I've not found a concrete answer if they ok for UK (R and A  ruled) amateurs to use in club comps ( handicap qualifiers ). There seems to be a difference on this issue when it comes to the R and A and USGA

Does anybody have and other info

cheers

Lewis

Last edit : Sun 5th Feb 2012 12:09
re: Ping Eye 2 irons
user127691
Reply : Mon 6th Feb 2012 13:01

The rules for wedges with U grooves for amatuers is 2024 in this country just the same. They are only the same grooves you would get on any wedge you brought before this season so they will be legal until those wedges are.

user356537
Reply : Tue 7th Feb 2012 07:52

A couple of points.

The new groove rules don't just apply to wedges but to all clubs.

It's not quite accurate to say that amateurs can continue to use the old grooves until 2024.  For the majority, this is correct but for elite amateurs playing in top competitions the old grooves will be illegal from the end of 2013.

Richard

user52922
Reply : Tue 7th Feb 2012 10:21

More nonsense from the governing body, pandering to the whims of the professional game without a thought for those of us who have to pay for their clubs.

Irrespective of any alterations to stopping distance, it is really irrelevant when the shot still has to be played.

user127691
Reply : Wed 8th Feb 2012 14:14

john's right there don't see what difference it makes, if every one has the same technology then it makes no difference the best player will win. if they were serious about making changes to the game then they would be restricting the distance the ball can go and and bringing the shotmakers back into the fold.

user38216
Reply : Wed 8th Feb 2012 18:40

If its a groove thing only, they should be legal for anyone other than a pro at the moment.  The only things outlawed of any real consequence in the am game is + COR drivers. I know there are other exclusions but this is the main one.

user127691
Reply : Fri 10th Feb 2012 11:28

The grandfarthering only applied to the pro's using them though, surely still acceptable for amatuers even under R&A. Do they have different grooves than the standard U grooves on clubs and wedges manufactured last year?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top