Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Debate: Should the Belly Putter be Outlawed?

re: Debate: Should the Belly Putter be Outlawed?
user52922
Reply : Sat 28th Jan 2012 11:05

Yes.

user363440
Reply : Sat 28th Jan 2012 13:24

no

user410273
Reply : Sat 28th Jan 2012 13:44

No.

Sorry to buck the trend guys but providing its never used to get that club length when taking a drop I can't see a problem with it.

• If it was that good everyone would be using it.
  • Should all putters be the exact same length - mine's 35" but yours is?
  • Considering the number of belly putters on tour, the win rate isn't startling.
  • How many course records have fallen to belly putters?
  • I don't feel disadvantaged using a 'short' putter.
  • Is a two ball putter, or any other with weird and wonderful weighting, unfair?
  • The sand wedge also received mixed acceptance when first introduced. Should it be banned?

It isn't having phenominal success on tour, and its use means so many amatuers with the yips can continue playing rather than take up bowls.

user16163
Reply : Sat 28th Jan 2012 20:32

no it shouldnt be outlawed

if when that club was "manufactured" it conformed to all R&A requirements then why should it not be allowed

its like asking if a ping g20 driver shouold be allowed as it "gives and extra 20yards"

as for the above post (no offence) but if it is a R&A conforming club the using it to ones own advantage for a drop purpose is just the same as using a driver

one thing i have learnt over the last two years playing golf  is,  if a rule is to your advantage then take it!!! i have seen numorous occasions where a tour pro has used all his rule knowledge/interpretation to his advantage and i applaud him,

1 for knowing the rule,

and

2 interpreting it to his benefit

user52922
Reply : Sun 29th Jan 2012 11:53

Anthony, when this game was invented. both hands on the grip for every shot was the order of the day. Why allow this alien putter and method into the game in the first place.

user356537
Reply : Sun 29th Jan 2012 18:04

Personally, I don't like long putters but I see no reason to ban them.  If the advantage is really as great as most people seem to claim then why isn't every pro using one?

I can't help but think that advances in ball design are doing more to wreck the game than long putters.

Richard

user78137
Reply : Sun 29th Jan 2012 20:58

As long as it's allowed, if it helps some golfers putt better what does it matter.

Each to their own, Had a similar debate about big drivers a few years ago, now even the kids start out with them.

Cant see all of the fuss. You still have to earnm to use it & adapt your own style.

May even buy one if my putting doesn't improve!

user99350
Reply : Mon 30th Jan 2012 12:52

I was under the impression that golf was played with two hands and anything else is outside assistance so whether these people get an advantage, and anything which assists maintaining the line of the putter stroke must be advantageous, then the answer is clear and simple. However, if they are deemed legal then you have the choice to use or not use one.

Last edit : Mon 30th Jan 2012 12:53
user8399
Reply : Mon 30th Jan 2012 14:46

I can't say I like the belly putter though I have no problem with a long-shafted putter held with the hands far apart - it's the wedging against your belly, chest or chin that is the non-traditional part of the stroke. If it was going to be outlawed then that should have been the ruling initially - "it can be used but must only contact the hands, which themselves must not be in contact with any other part of the body" would have done the trick.

I don't agree that it's the same as adjustable driver weights (or adjustable putter weights, for that matter). You can't adjust either of these in a round, so they are merely devices that help you tune the club to your personal requirements rather than having to pay in advance for someone to do this artificially before you buy.

Personally, I (mentally) rub my hands in anticipation when I'm drawn to play against a belly-putter - as you rightly say, only a bad putter would ever swap to one so all you have to do is remind him of that and you are two-up! Seriously, I'm not that unsporting, I generally let his missed putts do that for me.

user369251
Reply : Mon 30th Jan 2012 17:13

At my club anyone with a belly putter gets absolutely slaughtered in the clubhouse, especially if they have done well. Personally, I don't mind them, if the R&A ok it, who are we to say.

user79118
Reply : Tue 31st Jan 2012 20:45

Played with a guy last year who had a 'chin' putter for long putts and a normal putter for inside 6 feet. Worked for him. Like having same degree wedges with different bounce on them in your bag. Personally don't like them even after using one. Can't see or feel the advantage myself.

user338942
Reply : Thu 2nd Feb 2012 00:40

They came in about 10 years or so ago with Vijay Singh being the most high profile player using it then. Was a fad at the time, few people tried it then faded away until this latest batch of players using them.  I dont see any advantage. You still have the same judgement element of pace, length and break.  If there was any rule to ban an upwards length of putter, would there be a limit of how short it could be?? My putter is 29in, so I certainly hope not!!

user8399
Reply : Thu 2nd Feb 2012 13:52

Interesting reply from Chris - I always assumed the long putter was for shorter putts where the face alignment is critical and the short putter for long putts where the feel for distance was more important.

I'm sure Colin is right - anyone who is a good putter could learn to use a long one - but why would they bother?

Now I'm going to have to work out what disability would require a long putter rather than a short one, given that the affected golfer can presumably use all the other clubs in his bag in a reasonably conventional way.

user289859
Reply : Thu 2nd Feb 2012 15:13

In my opinion, is the putter is hinged on the chest or belly, then they are made illegal.  If the putter is only held by the hands, and not touching any other part of the body, then it is ok. This would then come down to the golfer to learn a technique.

As it is, I would never bee seen using a belly/broom putter...they are ugly! 

user8399
Reply : Fri 3rd Feb 2012 11:47

Quite right, Colin - in fact, anything that enables people to enjoy this game without getting too frustrated with themselves is okay by me. If it's that good I'll use it too even though, like Matthew, I'm offended by the aesthetics. I don't like golf buggies, either, but if it's ever the only way I can get round a golf course I'll buy my own!

Another good point is in your last paragraph, about allowing the long putters until it's proved they are better. Of course, if it could be proved they are better it would have been done already, all the pro's would use them, and so would the rest of us by now. Clearly they are not better, except for the few players who have found they remove some of their lack of confidence on the greens.

It's a moot point whether they would have been allowed or retrospectively banned (like 500cc drivers or maximum COR faces) if they had been proved to be a distinct advantage. I love your phrase "brick on a stick" - guess what I'll be saying to the next singles opponent who pulls out the long pole!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top