Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

First Card Marked

Posted by: user350435 | Mon 16th Jan 2012 12:22 | Last Reply

I have been playing about 18 months and decided that I want to get a handicap to play in the comps etc.  So on Saturday I paired up with a couple of members who marked my card but I played awful.  It was probably the worst round I have played at my golf course!  I did a few decent drives but other than that it was pretty poor.  All the work I had done on the range didnt pay off in the slightest.  It has kind of put me off doing another 2 rounds for fear of the same thing happening.  Has anyone else experienced this?

The only thing I would say in my defence is that it was really frosty and the majority of the course was like concrete! which made it even harder!

re: First Card Marked
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 16th Jan 2012 13:28

Matt, keep going, get your two other cards marked and then you will have a proper handicap.

Once youv'e got that then you can see if you game is getting better by seeing if it drops.

From the sounds of it you were playing with two people you didn't know, and it was frosty, not ideal conditions for putting a card in.

You probably were trying too hard on every shot, something that you'll learn not to do once you have been playing longer.

Russ

re: First Card Marked
user38216
Reply : Mon 16th Jan 2012 17:19

Matt - Saturday was not the day to put a card in for handicap purposes, conditions were awful and required a completely different approach.  Why not wait till a month before comp season (March/April) and get some more practice first.  Oh and if you thought the pressure was more than enough, wait till your first competitive medal - it made me think about the game in a totally different way.

Last edit : Mon 16th Jan 2012 17:19

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top