Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

SHOULD WE GO BACK TO 3/4 HANDICAP IN MATCHPLAY?

Posted by: user8399 | Tue 10th Jan 2012 17:03 | Last Reply

A few years ago the CONGU/EGU rulers of our game decreed that full (strokeplay) handicap difference was valid for matchplay because better players won more often, based on their analysis of a random sample of cards. Surely handicaps are based on your scores when you play at or near your best, and should give an equal result when both players do play well? Obviously taking average and poor results will benefit the better player because his average game will be closer to his best than the high-handicapper, but basing their matchplay allowance on this benefits the weaker player when they both play to their handicaps.

Why is this? It's because the better player will win some holes by more than one nett stroke, e.g. a 5 against an 8 nett 7, but the higher-handicapper will win almost all his holes by just one. With both players having the same nett score, these extra strokes will have to be balanced one hole at a time.

And I used to think this way when I was off 16, so I don't think I'm biased!

re: SHOULD WE GO BACK TO 3/4 HANDICAP IN MATCHPLAY?
user38216
Reply : Tue 10th Jan 2012 17:29

3/4 or less.

user52922
Reply : Tue 10th Jan 2012 17:32

Terry, just where did Congu get the information that the better players won more often. My experience, having been a good player, is that I was quite often onto a beating by a higher handicap, even at three quarters the difference. The margin for improvement is greater from the higher handicap thatn it is for the low man.

user8399
Reply : Tue 10th Jan 2012 18:10

I like David's idea that it should be less than 3/4!

John, when they started the analysis and then made the original proposal they stated that it was based on a comparison done by the Scottish GU comparing 2000 cards and working out that, off 3/4, the lower handicap player would have won 62% of the games and, off full handicap, 52%, "so the better player still has a slight advantage". I don't recall them stating that the cards were from actual matches (indeed, how could they be as cards are not submitted for matchplay rounds?).

Now, I'm a great fan of the handicap system, as it enables players of vastly different abilities to give each other an equal game, but I would have hated to receive full difference and win a match despite the better player playing closer to his handicap than I when I was off double figures. Consequently, while I'm perfectly happy to lose to a higher handicap player who has played closer to his known ability than I have, I don't think the system should allow him to win when he hasn't!

You are certainly right that the margin for improvement is greater off higher handicaps - as the guy who beat me last year in the Club knockout (off 16, receiving 10) said, there isn't necessarily too much difference in ball-striking ability, it's making more mistakes that sets your handicap. So, he got several nett birdies to win holes and blew up on three, hence his 16 handicap. Giving 8 strokes we would have gone down the 19th.

user52922
Reply : Tue 10th Jan 2012 18:52

I am not a great fan of the current handicap system, Terry, as every competition at my club shows the system up for what it is - a complete farce.

user106712
Reply : Tue 10th Jan 2012 19:01

Personally I don't think anyone should have a handicap higher than 18 unless disabled or under 12 years old. Why would anyone not be able to be able to reach a par 4 in three shots or a par 5 in 4 shots. When I started playing with our golf society I was given a handicap of 24, after playing to 23 I asked to be cut to 18 as I knew that was more realistic. The very next comp I played to 18 and only lost on countback. One guy from the society asked why I had cut my own handicap as it would make it harder for me to win ? 5 years later he is still playing off 24 and wonders why I left the society.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 10th Jan 2012 19:02

Many 'Scratch Leagues' around the country play with no Hcp allowence and no one complains, in fact it is a game enjoyed by many Cat1 players.

The main complaints I heard was from high handicappers BEFORE a game when it was 3/4hcp in Match-Play and a few after they had lost.

It seems that many guys want a Hcp that gurantees them a win and if they don't win, the Hcp is wrong. I played in the above mentioned Scratch Leagues and I was only unhappy when I lost a Match that I should have won (I Lost) rather than got beat by someone who played better than I did (I was beaten).

TheLyth

Last edit : Tue 10th Jan 2012 19:04
user410273
Reply : Tue 10th Jan 2012 23:18

From what I can remember CONGU also piloted it at a number of golf clubs before it went nationwide. As was stated in Terry's 2nd post the majority of comps are still won by low handicap players. And when you consider they make up less than 15% of club players that still one 'ell of a record for the low guys.

A high handicapper might turn a low man over in round 1, and maybe round 2 but is he going to be that consistent through 1/2 a dozen rounds? And don't forget that if the high handicapper is in a rich vein of form he's probably going to get cut in one of the club comps he's playing along the way.

For those low handicappers that feel its just not worth playing in a matchplay comp against high handicappers, many clubs run matchplay comps for all handicaps, just low handicaps often playing off scratch, a mid handicap comp and a high handicap comp.

My club also runs one a little differently. If you are off 25 and I'm off 5 you start 10 up, i.e. 1/2 the diff rounded up, but its then played off level. Its a great game.

user8399
Reply : Wed 11th Jan 2012 00:19

Brian, the figures quoted in my second post weren't the number of competitions won by lower handicappers, though I think it does tend to be true as most players in a knockout competition will not play every round at their best standard, and the high handicappers will tend to lose when they have a average to poor day, even against a better player also not at his best. However, that won't mollify the low guys who played better in rounds one and two and lost!

My club certainly has a scratch knockout which I enter each year, and have made the final twice with one win, but typically that's just a couple of rounds a year off level, I wish it were more. The club handicap knockout is capped at 20 so it's probably what you call a mid-handicap competition.

I like the sound of the competition you describe where the high handicapper gets a number of holes start equal to half the handicap difference. I shall think seriously about trying that out if I get the chance. It's a bit like my mental approach when giving shots - I tell myself I'm that number of holes down on the first tee so even if I go into a quick lead I'm still focussed on clawing the rest back. If I lose a stroke hole it makes no difference as I have already allowed for it, if I halve it it's a win, if I actually win against the stroke it's a double win! When I get to all square I know the other guy has to beat me off level to win - positive thinking!

A matchplay method I really like but rarely get the chance to play is a Stableford match. Matchplay rules except you count the points difference, so putts can be conceded and so on. The beauty of it is that a match that might have finished 5&4 can still be going right to the end as no-one gives up even if they are five points behind on the 17th tee. Also you get your strokes on the toughest holes rather than giving strokes, and you have to give a stroke on the holes you should par and the other guy should bogey.

You try my method and I'll try yours - thanks!

Not all singles matches are in knockouts, of course, and it's even harder to take an unfair loss in a team event when you are letting the side down.

user38216
Reply : Wed 11th Jan 2012 20:42

I much prefer playing scratch in a social/friendly match as its man against man, no quarter given and a win is an honest win and a beating is an honest beating.  I would love to play in a scratch league and I reckon it would be a great thing to set up on golfshake if we could get enough willing entrants, could be a long running thing with points awarded for a win/draw with bonus points if you scalp a lower handicap player a possibility.  Games would be no more than one a month at each players home venue in rotation. - Interested??

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 20:43

I'd be up for that Dave

user78137
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 22:09

Catch twenty two!

If like some people you do not have the natural ability to play this game, then the handicap system does at least give you a chance of glory, even if it may be one in eight games.

Our society are quite strict on handicaps & they get cut regularly.

I believe getting members to hand in more crds when playing practice or friendly games may actually help give the player their proper handicap rather than a bandito one as is sometimes the case.

Our society system proved this works, with the exception of a player suddenly playing out of his skin.  If this happens by the way the big snips come out.

As a rule on our competition days it really is anybodies.  Having said that the guys that are consistent usually get to the top of the table toward the end.

The system is flawed, but it is difficult to change too much, after all we don't really want to put newer players off do we?

David

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top