Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What goes where?

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 9th Jan 2012 14:03 | Last Reply

Some of the sights I've seen over the past few months make me wonder if I'm being too picky!

When I play golf I use a trolley during the summer months (because it's much slower then) and I carry my bag during the winter (less people out and it helps to keep me warm).

Now, no matter if I'm using a trolley or carrying my bag I won't put either on the tee.  To me the tee is for me alone, not for my bag/trolley or buggy.

I've not see a buggy on the tee yet but it will happen, and probably sooner rather than later!

It's the same with the greens, I don't even like to walk on the green while carrying my golf bag, most times I'll walk around the green to the next tee rather than walk over the green.

I'm the same with the fringes of the green.  I don't push my trolley on the fringes, or put my carry bag down on the fringe of the green.  The fringes at my golf club are really poor even during the summer.  One of the reasons being that all the grass is flattened by people using trolleys.

Now that the winter is here we have areas of the course where ropes are put across the front of a green to protect that area from heavy wear in the wet conditions.  I've seen people pull the post out of the ground and push their trolley over the rope.  Sometimes they are that stupid that they don't even put the post back into the ground.

We've also got white metal frames for some of the smaller areas to be protected.  Because it means walking all the way around the green I've seen people take them out of the ground and push their trolley over the muddy area, making it worse and meaning it will take longer to repair.

Not that I use a buggy often, but I would never drive the buggy between the green and a greenside bunker.  But I've seen people drive between two greenside bunkers, play their shot and then drive between the green and the bunker!

The easiest solution is to ban buggys/trolleys during the winter months!  Could you imagine the uproar at your golf club if this was suggested?

Buggys should never be allowed out during the wet conditions, but at my club it's all about money.  If somebody is will to pay £25 to hire a buggy then they hire them the buggy.  The fact that the damage done to the course will cost far more to repair means nothing to them.

Am I the only one who thinks like this?

Russ

re: What goes where?
user410273
Reply : Mon 9th Jan 2012 14:19

I think a ban would see quite a few members becoming nomadic golfers, dropping membership. And a club that doesn't have a ban would suddenly find itself with a waiting list. A winter ban wouldn't work but I do agree with a ban of both if the ground isn't fit.... sadly that would mean me having a rest but I have always believed that the course comes first.

user250721
Reply : Mon 9th Jan 2012 15:28

2 points on this if I may.

1. Its all about eductaion and respect. Russ, you I and im sure 99% of those on here would have respect for the course. Its the same a pitch marks (dont get me started) Those that do the above you have witnessed clearly have no respect or havent been educated.

2. I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned money. seen a few threads lately where revenue and membership numbers have been mentioned and a lot of club at the moment cant afford to turn down the £25 for a buggy.

user379886
Reply : Mon 9th Jan 2012 16:00

Unfortunately I have seen a buggy on the tee at our local Minicipal,where after teeing off they proceeded to drive straight over all of the tees!!!!!

Our course does ban buggies in the winter!,only allowing them for members who have a valid medical certificate,but these are not allowed on days when the course is deemed too bad for them.

This is updated daily on twitter

user430457
Reply : Mon 9th Jan 2012 19:33

Probably one of the most informative sessions I've had was when I hadn't been playing too long, had had a good few lessons on the range and was keen to get out on the course.

Me, Mrs W and master W went out with the pro under his instruction and as well as playing a few holes he instructed on what i guess might be called course management.

This included remaining quite while the folks in front tee'd off followed by being made aware of the importance of being ready to play - bag to side of tee, glove on, tee, ball and club ready.

As we progressed he advised on replacing divots and as we approached the green, where to place our bags/trolley, being aware of where the next tee was located and then how to repair pitch marks.

This now just feels normal, and essential to a good round as well as taking care of the courses - i'd take the same approach whether on a private or municipal club but I guess there are some players that just dont get clued up on this sort of thing.

user52922
Reply : Mon 9th Jan 2012 20:18

but these are not allowed on days when the course is deemed too bad for them.

From April the first the equality act comes into effect and the club has to ensure there is a buggy available if a disabled golfer wishes to play. If they decide that the course is too wet for buggies then it is too wet for the members to play and the course will have to be closed.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 9th Jan 2012 21:26

I don't think that will be completely true John.  The disabled golfer will have the same level of access as the able bodied golfer so it could be argued that there is equality.  Most reasonable clubs would allow buggies for those members with a confirmed need though.  Mine does not allow buggies in comps except for those on a list held and maintained by the club.  The same members on that list are allowed buggies even when there is a ban on (which is fortunately rare).

user198914
Reply : Tue 10th Jan 2012 23:56

Hi Russ

At Cottesmore also part of crown, they do ban buggys through the winter, or if the course is too wet during the summer, they also ban trolleys, unless they have hedgehogs or  similar, the members do not mind this as we know it protects the course in the long run.

paul

user432170
Reply : Sat 14th Jan 2012 00:35

I have to say I am very new to golf but have been brought into it with respect for the course. I make a point of walking aound the greens and tees so as not to damage them any more than they already are. I'm not a member of a club yet and the local course is a small municipal. ( regardless of the course they need respect to help maintain and enjoy them ) For the winter, trolleys are not allowed therefore allowing me to get some more excercise for the new year. I can't believe people would drive buggies wherever they felt.

Here's looking forward to a good year of Golf.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top