Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

When to upgrade clubs?

Posted by: user430457 | Thu 5th Jan 2012 20:08 | Last Reply

As i've only been playing for a year I've been quite content with my budget Ben Sayers M7 package, with the exception of the putter which i replaced early on and the driver, though I expect this is more down to poor technique rather than club malfunction.

Also, I don't really want to spend money on unneccessary kit, i'd rather spend on playing rounds.

However, I guess that at some point I assume that my kit may hinder my progress and I will need to upgrade but I was wondering how I will recognise this; will there be any obvious signs or indicators?

I just wondered what experience you golfshakers have had.

Cheers,

P

re: When to upgrade clubs?
user52922
Reply : Thu 5th Jan 2012 20:12

What you have to remember, Paul, is that your current equipment is far more advanced than clubs of sixty years ago, yet there were players in that era that played to scratch, which should tell you something. You cannot buy a game.

Last edit : Thu 5th Jan 2012 20:13
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 5th Jan 2012 22:19

I would hang onto them for probably a couple of years or until you are consistently playing to sub-20 handicap.  Rather than replacing the clubs, a couple of lessons will be cheaper, improve your game more and last much longer.  There are decent practice facilities at Perton with the range and short game area and the pros there were pretty good when I was playing there.

BTW can you still get 'cheap' gear from the boot of someones car in the car park at Perton on a Saturday lunchtime?

user430457
Reply : Fri 6th Jan 2012 07:59

Thanks for the advice folks..

I do spend an hour practising on Saturdays, when my lad is having his lesson - i ususally split this with half the time on the range, the other half on the short game area, all of which has no doubt helped me progress. I di dhave a good few lessons even before I bought any kit with the odd one since, probably due another one, could do with straigthening my driver slice!

@Chris - there is a bloke that's often hanging around in the pro shop who always seemed to be offering us stuff that he happened to have in his boot when we were first starting out. We did get Mrs W a once-used set of irons at a very good price from someone who knew someone etc!

P.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top