Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Should I wait?

Posted by: user40826 | Mon 26th Dec 2011 15:47 | Last Reply

Are Taylormade likely to be releasing an R13 early this year? Just wondering before I take the plunge on the R11? 

re: Should I wait?
user38216
Reply : Mon 26th Dec 2011 15:58

Chris, by the time you have played 10 rounds with it they will have released and R15 and possibly and R17, TM are the worst offenders for rebranding the same old stuff.  Try a Callaway FT9 before you spend too much cash, well worth  try

user289859
Reply : Mon 26th Dec 2011 16:06

Someone I know, who recently did their PGA residential at the Belfy, was told that that Taylormade are so advanced, that if they wished, they could, within 6 months, release everything up to R22/23.

As for the R11, the latest release is the R11S, which offers even more adjustability (did it need it?!)

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54751/taylormades-new-r11s-driver-and-fairway-woods

user40826
Reply : Mon 26th Dec 2011 19:20

A good read and I love the way Taylormade are trying to copy Apple with the R11S

Got lessons booked agin for the beginning of the season and wouldn't mind having the new big dog in place before then.  I like the adjustablilty of my Nike Dymo but I stupidly had a round with a mates R11 and loved it.  So much so he took it off me before I ran off with it

Been waiting for the Christmas vouchers to roll in and I think selling my Nike Dymo and using the vouchers would get me the R11.  Just didn't want to spalsh out 250 notes and then the proce crash £100 in a few weeks time.

The r9 irons made a huge difference last year and I'm hoping, coupled with the lessons, will get me down a couple more shots in 2012.

user16106
Reply : Mon 26th Dec 2011 19:32

Chris, As you are a good player do you see the advantages of every new model that comes out? If they are as good as they say we should all be driving 300 yds every drive. I think I am a much better player than I was 10 years ago but my scores are not alot better. Top pros in 1958 were driving 260 yds now they are driving 300 yds. Every year a new model claims an increase of 10-20 yds off the tee. Is it a confidence thing or do we really drive further with these new models.

I would buy the club that I could afford cos when the new model is out then the next model will be in the pipepline.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user289859
Reply : Mon 26th Dec 2011 20:17

If you can hold on, then the R11 will come down in price. I know my local pro shop has knocked money off it already.  The R11S is rumoured to be very expensive (i heard around £350)...so it depends if you think it is worth it!

user40826
Reply : Mon 26th Dec 2011 20:27

Matthew - Bloody hell £350 is NOT worth it.  How can they justify that money?surprisehttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/omg_smile.gif" title="surprise" width="20" />

Dave - I don't buy every new model that comes out, I never have.  I only buy the gear that I need and I feel the time is right to take the plunge for the driver.  I took a long time choosing my irons last year and again didn't buy the latest gear, I got the r9's as that's the best I could afford at the time.

I value lessons over equipment and always will but after reading some good, reliable reviews from our own Sanders, who does believe the r11 has a 'hot face' and trying the club myself, I do beieve its the club for me.

It does concern me that the r11S (stupid name) is going to be £350.  Crikey that's a lot of money.  If I can get the r11 for around £180, I'll be chuffed to bits.

Keep the advice coming gents.

user289859
Reply : Mon 26th Dec 2011 21:31

yup...a silly amount of money really. Though I did pay £289 for my R11 when it came out!

Here is a bit more from Golf Monthly on it:

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/tours-and-news/tournews/529465/taylormade-r11s-and-rocketballz-rbz-range-to-launch.html

Price mentioned here:

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/tours-and-news/tournews/529449/taylormade-launches-r11s-driver-and-r11s-tp-driver.html

I'd stick with the R11 to be honest. If you wanted to spend a little more, get it fitted properly and get a shaft upgrade for an extra £50 so that it can be atched perfectly to your swing etc.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top