Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What a weekend!

Posted by: user61256 | Mon 5th Dec 2011 08:24 | Last Reply

What a fantastic weekend for watching Golf my Sky+ has been under pressure big time:

Rory McIllroy wins in Hong Kong

Lee Westwood wins in South Africa

Tiger Woods wins in USA

Already the hype is starting, Tiger is now favourite to win each major next year, but is this total hype:

Denis Pugh say's it's a new order out there that Tiger has to catch up with again and Mark Roe says Tiger won with his B game, both are probably right for me but:

• Could Tiger compete against the onslaught of birdies that Luke Donald produced at the Disney Classic?
  • Could Tiger match Lee Westwoods performance on Saturday?
  • Can Tiger really match the extraordinary consitancy of Rory?
  • Fair comment Tiger Woods is still box office, but so are Rory, Luke and Lee!

Well done to the three of them.

re: What a weekend!
    user289859
    Reply : Mon 5th Dec 2011 10:42

The bit that gets me is everyone declaring "Tiger is back"  My feelings are very much the same as Andrew Cotter's (BBC Reporter), as he said on Twitter:

"I think I would reserve judgement on Tiger Woods being 'back' until he wins a tournament containing more players than holes on a course."

Couldn't have said it better.

user410273
    Reply : Tue 6th Dec 2011 18:41

My TV was golfed out over the weekend. Westwood's Saturday round was the best I've seen him play, and his best is stunning anyway. But equally, although Westwood won the tournament just how good has his last 6 months been? Personally, I think its been quiet by the standards he set earlier in the year.

Rory's round on Sunday was, arguably, the better round but his Saturday was not great.

Is Tiger back? In the context of the field he played against 'v' what Tiger is like when he's on form it wasn't anything startling. But two things to consider, where he's been and how much personal anguish he's had to conquer. Then just look at his golf in the last 3 tournaments he's played in. There are strong signs that Wood's rehabilitation is definitely on track, and that plus the great strides made by Westwood, Donald, McIlroy, Kaymer Dustin Johnson et al mean 2012 could see some stunning golf of like we've not seen for quite some time.

user16106
    Reply : Tue 6th Dec 2011 19:39

As I stated on another recent post " times a changin " 11 of the last 13 major winners have been 1st time major winners. 2 Major virgins stand out for me if the trend continues, Donald & Westwood. It should be a fantastic 2012.

Dave CAC handed Geordie

user103169
    Reply : Wed 7th Dec 2011 13:53

So Tiger is back....... Lock up your daughters !!!!

user38216
    Reply : Wed 7th Dec 2011 20:34

Tiger is no where near back yet. Tigers best is unbeatable but to be honest the three golfers i look forward to watching the most are Tiger, Westwood and Rory in no particular order.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top