Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Rules: You Cannot Declare Your Ball Lost

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 28th Nov 2011 12:07 | Last Reply

Article from Barry Rhodes author of the book, ‘999 Questions on the Rules of Golf’

Barry is author of the book, ‘999 Questions on the Rules of Golf’ and writes a regular blog of miscellaneous content on the rules of Golf at www.barryrhodes.com

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/rules-etiquette/you-cannot-declare-your-ball-lost/

re: Rules: You Cannot Declare Your Ball Lost
user356537
Reply : Mon 28th Nov 2011 20:47

Of course, Barry Rhodes (and Darren) are quite correct.

It's not possible to declare a ball lost.  If someone finds your ball and the 5 minute period (which starts only when you or your playing partner starts seraching for it) hasn't expired then that ball is in play unless you have put  another ball into play.  Playing another ball from the oriignal position without declaring it a provisional would mean that that ball is in play.

So, next time you are playing matchplay and your opponent tells you not to bother looking for his ball becuase it's in such a bad position just remember - it's always worth a quick look because if you find it they must play it unless they've hit a shot with another ball.   And, to be clear, they can't insist that you don't look for it!

Richard

user52922
Reply : Tue 29th Nov 2011 19:12

Why on earth would anyone go looking for an opponents ball that could be in a bad lie when the option of three off thee is a far better scenario to play against.

user356537
Reply : Tue 29th Nov 2011 22:07

John, in all of your experience are you saying you have never seen a situation where an opponent would be worse off playing from the original position rather than taking 3 from the tee??? 

Richard

user52922
Reply : Tue 29th Nov 2011 23:08

Richard, I would glady accept the 2 shots I would gain from someone taking 3 off the tee and if I failed to win that hole then it would be my own fault.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top