Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The most important part of the game?

Posted by: user437159 | Sat 26th Nov 2011 19:58 | Last Reply

In your opinion what is the most important part of the game and why?

Course management,

Short game,

Menatl game,

Putting,

Ball striking,

Driving?

Thanks, just wanted to see what the golfing public thought

re: The most important part of the game?
user52922
Reply : Sat 26th Nov 2011 20:10

They are all important, Liam.

Every shot has a target and success depends on hitting these targets on a consistent basis.

Drives, must be in play and a reasonable distance down the hole. It is not always imperative to be on the short stuff. Irons are the shotmaking clubs and until you can control where the ball is going then the game will difficult.

The short game can be learned but those who have a natural flair for a feel for distance usually are the better players.

I have never considered myself a good putter but I very rarely three putt. Like every shot in golf one only gets one chance at the putt and to be consistent requires a good solid method

Last edit : Sat 26th Nov 2011 20:10
user410273
Reply : Sat 26th Nov 2011 20:38

Whilst I agree with John that every shot is important I think it goes a little like this. You can miss the centre of the fairway by 10 yds, the centre of the green by 5yds, and the centre of the hole by an inch... You can't play the game well without any one of them functioning well but, for me, the game is about accuracy. And its the putter you have to be most accurate with.

user390191
Reply : Sun 27th Nov 2011 18:25

one of the most important things in the game of golf is to keep a smile on your face when things go bad

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 27th Nov 2011 18:41

Putting is very important. You can miss a fairway, miss a green and hit a bad chip to 12-15ft. Hole that putt for par and get to the next.

TheLyth

user338942
Reply : Mon 28th Nov 2011 13:29

I like the theory that the 3rd shot on any hole is always the most important.  Think I saw it on here a couple of weeks ago. 

user356537
Reply : Mon 28th Nov 2011 20:05

Chipping and putting well will always hide most other weaknesses.

user40826
Reply : Wed 30th Nov 2011 15:18

Todays golfer did a feature on this a few months ago, an interesting read.  Drive for show putt for dough - was the title.  

Turned out very little difference in scores - did shock me a little.  I've always firmly believed in the short game.  Putting and chipping is what I have spent the most time on practicing over the years, with lots of success,.  To the point were my playing partners get very annoyed when I miss the green and still make par.

I still think the short game is the most important aspect of this game and more time working on this area saves shots.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top