Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Breaking 90?

Posted by: user437159 | Fri 25th Nov 2011 18:30 | Last Reply

I have been playing just 12 months as a 12 yr old junio golfer. I usually hit in the 90's and, like many golfers, got bored of being able to almost guess what my score will be. So over past months (since july) i have tried everything to break 90. I just cant get there. My lowest this past fews months is 20 over, 92. i have broke 90- before but, hands down, dont know how i did it. Usually if i can hit the green in reg i can two putt for the par but, rarely i hit the green in reg. I have tried to improve my short game, its improved but not got me to break 90.

Anyone else got this problem? Any help or tips would be appreciated.

)

Thanks in advance.

re: Breaking 90?
user250721
Reply : Fri 25th Nov 2011 18:42

Laim

Well done for breaking 90.

Id highly recomend trying the advanced stats cards. Use them for 5 rounds find out what you need to work on and then get down to your local and let your pro know.

I used them and have helped me a lot.

user437159
Reply : Fri 25th Nov 2011 18:55

thanks, ill give it a try!

user16106
Reply : Fri 25th Nov 2011 22:32

Liam, firstly well done on breaking 90 already. Ive had a look at your stats and come up with afew things.

1. You hit quite a few fairways and get on the short par 4s in reg.

2. You get 17 shots to play with to break 90. If you are hitting most fairways then use one of your 17 shots to approach the green on the longer par 4s. Short chip and 2 putts will get you a bogie. Only 1 putt and its a par.

3. Dont " try like mad " to break 90 let it happen with good course management.

4. Whats your fav short club? Try to lay up at the distance from the green best suited to this club for approaches. 

5 Best of luck. soon be breaking 80.

Dave CAC handed Geordie. PS What do I know? I shot 100 last week.

Last edit : Fri 25th Nov 2011 22:33
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 26th Nov 2011 11:51

Congratulations Liam on breaking 90.

Two things I would suggest regarding your golf.

Work on your putting and your short game. 

The putting practice will stop you three putting most of the time, and you might also sink the odd one putt from distance, which always helps the scorecard!

Having a decent/good short game will always save you a shot or two during a round of golf.

Putting the time in on the practice ground will pay dividends in the long run.

Another suggestion I would make is not to worry too much about breaking 90.

I add my score up as I play each hole so I know how I'm doing as I go along.  Sometimes this helps, but at other times it just shows me how far behind where I should be when I reach a certain point on the course.

You don't say what golf course you play at or what the par for your golf course is.

With a handicap on here of 23 you have plenty of shots to use.

Have a plan for your round, work out what you think you should score on each hole.  If your first hole is a medium length par four.  Do you think you should score a five?  Remember to use your shots wisely, don't play the stupid shots, come out of the trees sideways back onto the fairway rather than try and hit through the small gap in the trees, with the bunker just the other side!

Good luck with breaking 90 again.

Russ

Last edit : Sat 26th Nov 2011 11:58
user437159
Reply : Sat 26th Nov 2011 12:31

Thanks! off to play a round in a bit so ill give it a go!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top