Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Which helps the most practice or play?

Posted by: user437159 | Thu 24th Nov 2011 19:34 | Last Reply

I have been playing for 12 months and golf has become my obsession. When i first started i shot between 106 to 127. Over the months i now am shooting in the 90's consistently. Now winter is slowly creeping in i want to break 90 regulary next season. So i thought which will help me get there faster? Practice or play? When i say play i mean 36 holes a week or more. And when i use the word practice i mean 3 to 5 times a week. Thanks smileyhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/regular_smile.gif" title="smiley" width="20" />

re: Which helps the most practice or play?
user40826
Reply : Thu 24th Nov 2011 20:32

If you are spending time practicing it will depend on the quality of the practice.  There is little point in bashing the ball at the range with no purpose to it. 

Ask yourself, What exactly do I need to work on?  Go with a purpose in mind.  It could be hitting a certain distance with a wedge or getting up down on the practice green 8 time out of 10.

Just make sure you don't go an practice a poor techinique! 

user26342
Reply : Thu 24th Nov 2011 20:44

As Chris says, there's no point spending an hour down the range grooving a bad swing.

Get a lesson & explain what your goals are & then focus your practice on this.

user249902
Reply : Fri 25th Nov 2011 05:35

Agree with the above. Although to be honest I don't practice. In the summer I play 5 times a week minimun, never really worrying about my score, mainly trying out new ideas. One day I'll play only an 8 iiron when within 50yards of the green, the next day it'll be a 9 iron. This way I get to try different approaches with different lies each time.

On the putting green I tend to try and get within 2 foot of the flag, distance and feel being more important than putting the ball in the hole, that can wait til on the course...

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 26th Nov 2011 12:13

During the summer when the weather is nice and the days are long I would suggest playing.

One of the things I do is to play three balls from 100 yard in.  Obviously, I only do this if there is nobody behind me!

Another thing, if you play a bad shot from around the green, fining the hole then go back to where you were and play the shot again, try and work out what you did wrong on the first shot.  It might be you were using the wrong club, or you had the ball in the wrong position in your stance.

As the winter moves in and you don't get enough daylight to play then practice.  If you are having problems with a certain part of your game, get a lesson and find out what you should be doing!

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top