Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Irons out of bunkers

Posted by: user259181 | Thu 24th Nov 2011 11:36 | Last Reply

The link to Seve in one of the other posts has reminded me of something I was going to ask you guys.

I often play our 6 hole par three course at lunch time and only take an 8 iron and a putter with me. there are a couple of bunkers per hole and I sometimes go in them.....only having an 8 iron with me, I had to use it.

I was very surprised how much easier I found it to get out AND closer to the hole using this club - so I started practicing with irons out of bunkers in our chipping area. i find the for anything that doesn't need to stop very quickly I get best results with my 9 iron. My eight iron is great if there is very little height needed to get out and lots of green to work with.

Before I found this I was nearly always far too short (if out at all) when coming out of bunkers using my 58deg, now I feel that with my nine iron I know I will get it out and roll closer to the hole

Does anyone else use 'normal' irons out of sand?

re: Irons out of bunkers
user338942
Reply : Thu 24th Nov 2011 13:51

Not greenside, but never been in a position where I've had to develop the skill. Its normally a 58 greenside or 52 from 20-40 yards

user410273
Reply : Thu 24th Nov 2011 13:51

Whatever suits you and gets the job done. My first set, 1968, didn't have a sandwedge and to be honest I didn't even know what a sandwedge was.

user24437
Reply : Thu 24th Nov 2011 14:11

I use anything apart from my lob wedge - that's the only blade type in my bag.  Mostly use PW or 9I for short shots, have been known to go up to my 5I in greenside bunkers.  Have used both hybrids and a 3 wood from fairway bunkers on occasion.  I quite often use the practice bunker over at my local driving range for 15 minutes before heading out to the main range, it's helped a lot lately.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top