Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Equality Act "Age" section 2012 ?

Posted by: user437933 | Tue 22nd Nov 2011 22:46 | Last Reply

Please can anyone assist -

I have been looking for recent updates on the Equality Act regarding the "AGE" section starting in 2012. 

Is the "Age" part of the act to start in April 2012 ?

I am in a club where senior members over 65 receive £100 discount annually are quite happy to plead ignorance and sabotage any vote on the matter at an AGM, if this is legislation from April 2012 they will not be able to avoid it..

re: Equality Act "Age" section 2012 ?
user52922
Reply : Tue 22nd Nov 2011 23:26

They then will have two choices, pay the £100 or the most likely option, they will find another club.

Name your club Martinh, or are you shy.

user390191
Reply : Tue 22nd Nov 2011 23:38

and that makes my point about clubs need to change water tight

user410273
Reply : Wed 23rd Nov 2011 08:39

Check schedule 15, "Reasonable Adjustments." This section deals with members having their current Rights adjusted. "Protected Benefits" seems to suggest that existing members retain their discounts but members reaching the discount age/length of membership aren't entitled to the "old" benefits.

However, the Act contradicts itself in Section 16 when detailing restricting membership of "Protected Benefits" from existing members.

Solicitor required.

user410273
Reply : Wed 23rd Nov 2011 09:25

Further to the above, I've just spoken to a senior barrister who works for the govt. If a golf club can show reasonable justification to retain the the discount for those over xx age then they are still acting within the law. In the case of discounted rates for the over 65's, the justification is that as a group they are recognised as having a lower income than those between the ages of 18 and 65. To charge the "group" full fees could lead to "excessive hardship" or a "loss of access."

Note 1; it is "as a group." There will be individuals with a very good pension just as there will be those below age 65 on minimum wage.

Note 2; The Equality Act 2010 is a result of the EU Equal Rights Directive 2008. Further info can be found by Googling EHRC.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 23rd Nov 2011 10:21

Brian I think until someone challenges it in the courts and a precedent is set no one actually knows.

A lot of it seems very much open to intepretation even though some parts are very clear.

user410273
Reply : Wed 23rd Nov 2011 10:26

Darren, you are right. Until case law has set the precedent it is open to interpretation. And even then it could be challenged through the European Courts. And in reality, most clubs wouldn't contest a case because of costs.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 23rd Nov 2011 10:50

Obviously no one should turn a blind eye and ignore but as you say it's very hard to know what to do.

Some other similar posts here:

addressing the equality act

what impact? - the uk's equality act- law from october

Equality Bill and Women Golfers

Last edit : Wed 23rd Nov 2011 11:05
user361385
Reply : Thu 24th Nov 2011 20:21

Darren,

Some clubs are still advertising different rates for the same membership, discounting the ladies, is this within the Act under any circumstances?

John.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 25th Nov 2011 16:35

This may help, the 'Golf Club Management Publication from the GCMA (Golf Club Managers Association)' have a few relevant articles:

http://www.golfclubmanagement.net/tag/equality-act/

Michael Shaw: An introduction to the Equality Act

Brian Butler: An overview of the Equality Act

Adrian Houstoun: How the Equality Act affects how you employ staff

user361385
Reply : Wed 30th Nov 2011 19:13

Darren,

Michael Shaw; Intruduction to the equality act.

Is this commercial company correct, does the act make it compulsary for golf clubs to make available motorised golf buggies for the use of disabled golfers?

John.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 30th Nov 2011 21:20

Hi John, I've just read the article again and it doesn't really say but to be aware of this aspect and then points out the canvassing by this 'commercial company'.

Unfortunately I can't comment whether it's could be upheld or not.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top