Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

price of golf

Posted by: user437621 | Mon 21st Nov 2011 12:10 | Last Reply

hiya just new to this i am just wondering what price range people think is accetable for a game of golf as the price range can range from £20 to £80 up words i am unsure how much i think a few people i have spoke to sayes £30 max for a game of golf at a visiting course with no members in your party.

re: price of golf
user410273
Reply : Mon 21st Nov 2011 14:57

all depends on the quality of the course and the history of it. i'd happily pay 150 to play st andrews but equally i can think of a few courses i wouldn't pay a tenner for

user437621
Reply : Mon 21st Nov 2011 23:03

na £150 is way to much to play no course is worth that much to play how much is the course you play at for a visitor?

user52922
Reply : Mon 21st Nov 2011 23:15

NO course is worth the kind of money they ask these days. In days gone by one could play all of the well known courses for normal prices of the time.

user390191
Reply : Mon 21st Nov 2011 23:43

more and more clubs are now on http://www.teeofftimes.co.uk so try looking there and if a club want to charge daft money to play on it then that club will close within 2 years

user16106
Reply : Tue 22nd Nov 2011 10:20

I normally pay about £20- £30 as long as I know its half decent. But I could see myself paying about £50 for a real classy joint if I was playing well at the time. I may spoil myself one day and play Sunningdale old but its over £100. I certainly would not pay for wentworth west for £20 a hole. ( £360 ).

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user50354
Reply : Tue 22nd Nov 2011 12:06

£20 for me but could stretch to £25 if bed and breakfast is thrown in...

user410273
Reply : Tue 22nd Nov 2011 20:22

I agree with John, once upon a time all the courses were reasonably affordable. But it seems to apply to pricing for lots of things in the UK these days - 18 years ago I could afford to take the boss and our two boys to a football match. These days the same visit would be a crazy price.

Taking the football analogy a little further, if football was your favourite sport would you pay big bucks to play at Wembley? And if you would, then playing at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge would cost a little less but would still be in the big bucks region. The bottom end of the price range is the few quid you'd pay to play for your Sunday league game down the local sports centre.

So if you want to play the Wembley of golf, i.e. St Andrew's, its gonna cost more than pennies. And everything scaling down from there is gonna cost proportionally less. At the end of the day its about what everyone is willing to pay for their golf.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 22nd Nov 2011 20:46

Following on from Brian's post, which other sport allows you to play at the top venues for a price that, whilst high in comparison to the 'normal' places, is reasonable?  Look at it this way. 

• £15 to play the local muni, £150 to play at the home of golf, St Andrews Old Course
  • £30 to hire a football pitch in the park for a match, how much to play at Wembley?
  • £10 to hire a tennis court at the leisure centre, how much to play on centre court at Wimbledon?
  • £30 to hire a rugby pitch in the park for a match, how much to play at Twickenham?

In fact, how many of those would actually let you play there?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top