Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Advice needed

Posted by: user246626 | Sun 20th Nov 2011 21:08 | Last Reply

Am looking at getting some new clubs and have a budget of about £500.  Preferably blades.

I have seen the Titleist AP1's and the Taylor Made Burners 2.0.

Has anyone got or used these clubs if so what are your thoughts?

what other clubs would u recomend?

Finally steel or graphite?

thnx to anyone who replys in advance

Adam

re: Advice needed
user52922
Reply : Sun 20th Nov 2011 21:28

These would suit you nicely, within budget and in beautiful condition.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nike-forged-classic-blades-stunning-black-chrome-/320797993233?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Golf_GolfCl
ubs_JN&hash=item4ab10ce911

Last edit : Wed 23rd Nov 2011 21:09
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 20th Nov 2011 21:51

Adam,

Both the sets you have mentioned are the opposite of blades. 

The AP1 is the Titleist entry club and the AP2 is a much better (and more workable) club.  If you can afford the Titleist CB I can highly recommend them.  All the Titleist clubs are forged and once you have played forged clubs you will never go back to cast.

The Burners are similar to the AP1 in that they are aimed at the higher handicapper (Cat 4).  They are designed to go long, straight and be extremely forgiving.  They are cast clubs and will not have the good feel of a forged iron.

Given your handicap and the fact that you were asking about blades, I expect you are looking for a better player's irons.  If that's the case, I wouldn't touch either of these as I believe that you are too good a player for them.

And as regards shafts, steel all the way unless you have a particularly slow swing

user246626
Reply : Sun 20th Nov 2011 21:53

Wow, they look different to say the least john, must of cost youa fortune. I'm sure the new owner will be very impressed but it sadly wont be me. I like to try myclubs before buying them and also am going to get them custom made for me at the local golf factory.Thnx anyway John  

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 20th Nov 2011 22:01

I've got myself a set of Mizuno MP-68's

A blade club and a pleasure to hit.

Not tried the other clubs you mention.

Mizuno do a free custom fitting service where they will help you select the correct club for your game from their range.

Russ

user246626
Reply : Sun 20th Nov 2011 22:03

Thnx for the advice Chris. Can i ask what he difference is between forged and cast is?? I would like some clubs where you get a good feel to the ball if you know what i mean.

Reply : Sun 20th Nov 2011 22:16

Forging and casting are two different manufacturing processes.  I won't go into the deep details, but forging typically produces a cleaner and softer metal so it feels much better off the face (most people refer to it as a 'buttery' feel).

If you're after feel, go for forged.  Most people who have played forged irons wouldn't go back to cast irons, myself included

user246626
Reply : Sun 20th Nov 2011 22:38

ok thanks.Been looking around online and no where says how much the CB's are but to contact titleist. Are they still in my budget and if not how much over?

user24437
Reply : Sun 20th Nov 2011 23:08

Ah, casting v forging.  I'll just leave this one for a bit....

Reply : Mon 21st Nov 2011 19:53

Here you go Adam

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/3802/Titleist_Iron_Set_710_CB.html

user246626
Reply : Wed 23rd Nov 2011 20:13

thnx Chris.Went to the golf factory and had a go with the ap1 and the burners and really got on with the ap1's but struggled with the burners. They dont sell the cb's but can order them in for me.Are they similare to the Ap1's? if i get along with the ap1'swill i get on with the cb's? as i cant try before i buy :S

they also had the r11 on sale for £384. Are they any good?

cheers

Adam

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top