Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Problem with Powakaddy freeway 2

Posted by: user436076 | Tue 8th Nov 2011 10:20 | Last Reply

I have a Powakaddy freeway 2 trolley and it totally collapsed with screws falling out and snaping drive shaft, has any 1 else had this problem as its the 3rd trolley at our club to have done this, i have sent it of to powakaddy and they have said there repair it or upgrade it for a £129 to the sports frame, i dont belive this is fair as it is becoming clear this is a major fault with the freeway 2 trolley, so if any 1 else has had this prblem or you no of some 1 that has please let me no because i can im going to have to take this a lot further.........thanks

re: Problem with Powakaddy freeway 2
user11501
Reply : Tue 8th Nov 2011 10:34

I can only say that would never buy a powakaddy again and maybe speak to malcolm Fell about his powakaddy "issues".

Now use a motocaddy and is an excellent piece of kit.

user26342
Reply : Tue 8th Nov 2011 13:50

Gary,

Your not alone. I know 3 people who had the axle snap on the new Freeway.

Powakaddy have lost their way somewhat & as a result have lost their top spot in the electric trolley to Motocaddy.

If only they had listened to the old "if it aint broke don't fix it"!!

user38216
Reply : Tue 8th Nov 2011 19:31

If you kick off enough PK will replace the FWII with a sport free of charge. The product was useless.  Axles snapped because copper bushes slid out of their mountings causing the axle to move freely in the chassis. Electrics were crap, gearing wrong, you name it!!

user38216
Reply : Wed 9th Nov 2011 13:27

Yep, I did exactly the same (but before it needed repairing)!

S3 is good but i was concerned when one of the wheels packed in after a month, quickly replaced though

user44234
Reply : Thu 10th Nov 2011 20:50

If you'd like to hear the full tale of my PW Freeway 2 issues then maybe you should PM me with your email address. It would take too long on the forum.

2 years ago decided to upgrade from a very old original freeway to the latest version. Considered the others but as a tried and tested make bought a new Freeway 2, what a mistake.

Basics. It was replaced with a new trolley, by Powakaddy, after 6 months due to many problems. Faulty electronics, motor replaced and inevitably a broken axle. Also as has been mentioned the axle bushes do not stay in place. I did suggest to PK a permanent fix for this but they haven't as far as I'm aware done anything about it.Their solution to the bush problem is to supaglue them in place, not an engineering solution, just a bodge job however the axle breakages are not due to this as I decided to fix the bush problem with my solution and they never moved again. I did though have another 2 axle breakages.It's a problem with axle wind up caused by insufficient support mfor the drive train. The upgrade kit from the new Sport model consists of a new bracket, which fits between the motor and gearbox, this secures the whole drive assembly to the rear cross tube. Yes it does cost about £150.00 but I had it supplied and fitted FOC at a local agent very recently.

My 2nd trolley has had a new gearbox, new motor and 3 new axles all in 18 months. Not a good recommendation.

I do have to disagree with the comment about Powakaddy not wanting to know about the problems. I have nothing but excellent service - could just be the agent I deal with, though that doesn't detract from a poor quality product. 

I suspect the problem really exists with QC in China where the parts are made and just assembled in the UK. However Powakaddy have lost their renowned name and Motocaddy must be the way to go unless of course you fancy a Stewart.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top