Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Playing vs Practicing - What's the Ideal Balance?

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 6th Nov 2011 11:18 | Last Reply

As the daylight dwindles and playing time is more difficult to come by, winter tends to see me practice more.  If I'm honest with myself, I probably don't practice enough in summer as I'd rather get out and play.  So I got to thinking, what is the ideal balance between practice and play?  I want to practice enough to improve, but play enough to see the benefits.  And there's some practice that can only really be done on the course (course management for example).  So here's two questions: -

• How much do you think you SHOULD practice compared to playing time (ideally)?
  • How much DO you practice compared to playing time?
  • To start it off, here's my thoughts: -

• Your practice time should equal at least half your playing time (say 2 hours practice per 4 hours playing).  Half of the practice time should be on scoring shots (wedges, chipping, bunkers, putting)
  • I actually practice maybe once every 10 rounds at the moment, and only then if something needs attention.  Might explain some things.....
  • re: Playing vs Practicing - What's the Ideal Balance?
    user410273
    Reply : Sun 6th Nov 2011 13:53

I think practice is dependant on your level, what you want to achieve and whether its an M.O.T. or a full service. Its about quality, not quantity, i.e.a targeted practice with specific aims. For example, if you are struggling on the green its about green time, not range time. If your FIR is good whats the point in spending 2 hours hitting the driver. And its about practicing good technique, not ingraining a bad habit.

The amount of time that should be spent practicing at any one time? That depends on stamina, and how long it would take to get from your current level to the level you want to achieve. Equally you may have set aside x hours to learn a particular technique but learn it far quicker. Don't practice when you're tired, as you'll do more harm than good.

Learn before you practice. You need to know the technique before you can practice it. Make sure you've sourced the right technique from the right place before trying to ingrain it into your game/swing - would you ask a plumber to rewire your house??

How much do I practice? Virtually never. Its 5 mins on the putting green before a comp, although I did go out with a new driver last week for a couple of hours. That said, I've spent tons of hours in the past learning the game. And after 44+ years I know my swing and what I should be feeling.

re: Playing vs Practicing - What's the Ideal Balance?
    user77012
    Reply : Sun 6th Nov 2011 20:21

I prefer to just play ,but when I do practice I make sure I alternate the glass in each arm. You dont want to build up an imbalance muscle group, winkhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.gif" title="wink" width="20" />

user410273
    Reply : Sun 6th Nov 2011 22:11

Dave, when you practice do you still real Guinness or do you use Carling Airballs??

user77012
    Reply : Sun 6th Nov 2011 22:46

Defo real ones Brian, on a serious note as for practice I generally only chip and pitch as that's my weakness ,but I'm looking forward to some nice new Cleveland wedges to hone in .winkhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.gif" title="wink" width="20" />

user38216
    Reply : Mon 7th Nov 2011 19:29

Im probably about 1% practice and 99% playing at the moment due to naff practice facilities at my new club. This is one of the main reasons why another new club is being considered. I didn't realise how much I would miss the practice field at my old place!!

user50843
    Reply : Mon 7th Nov 2011 21:51

I spend around 3 hours a week split to 2 evenings on a floodlit driving/practice range. £2 worth of balls, first chipping/pitching then putting with alignment being the bit that needs sorting atm. Then out on the range for the long game, I must admit I have to make myself do it some evenings but it's worth it because I enjoy it once I get there. 

I play every Sunday and some Saturday's  so I probably don't practice enough, but I do feel as if I benefit from it.

user406037
    Reply : Wed 9th Nov 2011 17:05

When i was a junior and a member of high legh i use to practise a great deal, they had a lush chipping green and area and also the putting greens were faultless.

No i am at Runcorn, as much as i like the course and club i can't help but feel the practise facilitys here are terribe.

Due to this i dont practise half as much as i should which is a shame and instead i go to the driving range now in warrington but again you cant practise your chipping ect.

user26342
    Reply : Thu 10th Nov 2011 17:06

1 hour a week spent at the driving range working on what my I have been taught in my lessons. The current one is how to gain more distance off the tee.

user38216
    Reply : Thu 10th Nov 2011 20:03

Hit it like happy!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top