Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Strong or neutral grip ?

Posted by: user259247 | Sat 5th Nov 2011 19:28 | Last Reply

Have always used the "strong" grip, i.e. left thumb running down the grip at "one o'clock" (to the right of centre as you look down). A PGA pro told me to do this in a lesson.

Recently bought a new iron set and using my normal grip, every shot went to the left.

Decided to place my left thumb in the oval marking on the new grips (down the centre line) and lo and behold - straight shots.

Where does your thumb run down the club's grip ? Centre, slightly right, or anywhere else ?

re: Strong or neutral grip ?
user249902
Reply : Sun 6th Nov 2011 15:47

I'd say mine was more 1200, more on the neutral side than strong, with the right thumb just left of centre, although I do tend to hold the club softly which I find has helped

Last edit : Sun 6th Nov 2011 15:49
user406037
Reply : Wed 9th Nov 2011 16:58

you need your left hand to have a slight kink in the wrist so that the line between the thumb and finger points towards your right shoulder, you thumb should be straight down the middle.

When you kink the wrist it feels like your tensing your tricep which gives you a good position.

Try it... hope it helps you like it has improved me!!

user52922
Reply : Wed 9th Nov 2011 20:57

Sorry, Kyle but that is an incorrect grip. Left hand V should point to chin.

Last edit : Wed 9th Nov 2011 22:31
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 9th Nov 2011 21:11

I think it depends on how much you rotate your hands in the swing.  I rotate a lot so as John suggests I have the V pointing at my chin (also with the face slightly open) so I think it's more horses for courses and what works best for the individual

user77012
Reply : Wed 9th Nov 2011 23:41

Phil, Im shocked, but not totally suprised you were given that grip by a PGA pro, especially after listening to some of the advise others have received from so called experts.

user24437
Reply : Thu 10th Nov 2011 15:56

Which of your chins do you point it at Chris?

user26342
Reply : Thu 10th Nov 2011 17:03

The one just above his gut(s)!

user406037
Reply : Thu 10th Nov 2011 18:12

Don't be sorry John its ok. Just passing on advice i was given from a coach, its working well for me so i wont be changing it to my chin any time soon.

Reply : Thu 10th Nov 2011 20:36

Numbered from the top, the V points at chin 3, and from left to right roll C.  And that will be 2 above my gut thank you Floody

user52922
Reply : Thu 10th Nov 2011 20:42

Kyle, it is far easier to return to square at impact if the palms are opposed, strengthening grips can cause all manner of problems as can having a weak grip.

We all know that there are many players who play successfully with inferior grips, but don't you think it is sensible to try and play with the most common of grips one can read about on so many sites on the internet.

user77012
Reply : Thu 10th Nov 2011 21:13

Kyle , I can't physically do what your describing, surely you mean your thumb at 1 o'clock?

user406037
Reply : Fri 11th Nov 2011 17:16

The thumb is at 12 oclock but the slight kink in the wrist means that the line is pointing towards my right shoulder. I can only go off what im being taught from my pro and its working for me. when i started playing again 6months ago or so i was going round in about 102 shots per round thats not dropped to around 88 so im going in the right direction.

The below picture and words might help you that i found which is basically what im getting at.

The key to a good golf grip is to always hold the golf club in your fingers. This allows you to create more club head speed in your golf swing. When you look down at your hands the two lines or Vs that form between your thumbs and index fingers should point up to somewhere in between your right shoulder and your chin. If these lines are pointing to your left shoulder, your grip is too weak. If the lines or Vs are pointing more right of your right shoulder, your grip is too strong. 

Last edit : Fri 11th Nov 2011 17:21
user52922
Reply : Fri 11th Nov 2011 18:53

Well. Kyle, I come from the old school of golf, and the left V points to the chin and the right V to the right shoulder and with this method I was able to play top amateur golf tournaments such as "The Brabazon".

I am not saying you cannot play golf with the grip you have been shown, but I will be very surprised if it advances your game to the standard you are looking for.

Reply : Fri 11th Nov 2011 20:49

I know why John with all his experience is saying it is wrong and your pro is saying it is right Kyle.  You have the same minor fault that had recently crept into my address.  I can see by the line of the grip that your hands are behind the ball instead of in front of it. 

If you move your hands forward keeping the the same grip so that the club and your left arm form a straight contnuous line, this will remove the kink and put your hands in the correct position.  It will also encourage a downwards strike on the ball.  Watch the clubface doesn't close slightly as you do this (you'll start missing left if it does)

Your pro is right, the position of the hands on the grip is correct.  John is also right, and when you push your hands slightly forwards as I have described the V will point at your chin.  I only know this because I had the same problem recently and you posted the picture.  Just shows that a picture paints a thousand words

user406037
Reply : Sat 12th Nov 2011 15:19

Cheers for the advice Chris, i do seem to strike the ball alot better with my hands infront which explains things.

Cheers

Reply : Sat 12th Nov 2011 21:15

No problem Kyle.  Like most golfers I want everyone to play to the best they can.  Not often I can give advice at my standard but I spotted that and recognised it

user77012
Reply : Tue 15th Nov 2011 21:58

Go knock a nail in a piece of wood with a hammer, then look at your hand.............thats how it should look on a golf club.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top