Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

GPS rules

Posted by: user26342 | Fri 4th Nov 2011 09:56 | Last Reply

We should all hopefully know that in a competition you aren't allowed to ask a playing partner what club they have used / using (unless team events) BUT what happens is player A has a GPS device & player B asks him for a yardage or comes over to Players A's bag / trolley & takes a look for himself?

Is Player B gaining an advantage? Is it no different to asking to look at a course planner? Is it no different to asking Player A where the 150 yard marker is??

I've got a GPS & a few times in a strokeplay / stableford comp I've been asked "what does your gps say", in all occasions I've told them I don't think I'm allowed to say so they've then just come over & taken a look!!

re: GPS rules
user26342
Reply : Fri 4th Nov 2011 11:04

Kev,

what if your a miserable sod & you won't tell them, what is the ruling at your club? Do they get penalised?

user338942
Reply : Fri 4th Nov 2011 13:05

I've read about both aspects before.  Your not allowed to proclaim what club you've just used or ask an opponent what they've just hit.  Someone on tour got stung for it last year, but you can look into their bag all you want.

GPS and yardage books, you can openly share the data.  The R&A website states that some courses have local rules whereby players with GPS yardages aren't allowed to withhold the information if a playing partner asks for it. (Providing it doesn't slow down play)

user26342
Reply : Tue 8th Nov 2011 12:34

Kevin,

Smartphones aren't allowed to be used in comps anyway

user26342
Reply : Tue 8th Nov 2011 14:06

Afraid not Paul,

It doesn't matter if the device's extra information can be turned off. See the R&A rules on GPS devices. 

Q. What kind of distance measuring devices are allowed by Local Rule?

A. GPS, laser, any really; however, it is important that the device only measures distance. The use of a distance-measuring device that is designed to gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player's play, like gradient, wind speed or temperature, is not permitted, regardless of whether such an additional function is used or not, and even if that function is disabled.

Q. What about multi-functional devices, such as a mobile phone, with a distance measuring application?

A. On the course, subject to any club or course regulations, a multi-functional device may be used to phone, text or email – provided the purpose is not a breach of the Rules, e.g. you are not asking for advice. 

When an application that measures distance has been downloaded to the device, the application must be restricted to providing only distance information in order to conform to the Local Rule.  If there are any other features or applications on the phone that gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player’s play, such as a temperature gauge, compass or anemometer, this would render the device non-conforming regardless of whether these other features or applications are used or not.

taken from here : http://www.randa.org/en/Rules%20and%20Amateur%20Status/Rules%20in%20Focus/Archive/2011/March/DMDs.aspx

Hope you didn't spend too much money on your app!?!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 2nd Sep 2012 09:22

Good article here - Distance Measuring Devices (DMDs) � The Facts

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/4121/Distance_Measuring_Devices_DMDs_The_Facts.html

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top