Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

hi all

Posted by: user435251 | Tue 1st Nov 2011 20:06 | Last Reply

hi all newbie here so please take it easy on me!!!  last played about 10 years ago, and then that wasnt regular ,maybe 2/3 times a year.  just been talked into playing friday with a few blokes from work,so should be fun. any advice for me will be gladly accepted , i have not got or had a handicap!!! the others that are playing have!! ive been told i will play off 28? aint got a clue here, so was hoping some1 could give me some advice how this all works?!! thanks in advance .IAN.

re: hi all
user390191
Reply : Tue 1st Nov 2011 20:51

hi ian welcome back to the world of golf i would think as you dont have a handicap them yes 28 would be right but that depends on what game you will play i guess, on not playing for 10 years just enjoy it and always smile when that darn ball does not do what it is supposed to do

karl

user435251
Reply : Tue 1st Nov 2011 21:08

cheers karl, yeah m8 will try to smile lol. more likely to break the club over me knee tho, lol. went over the range and hit 50 balls today ,most veered off right but a few went pretty straight.(when i aimed a bit / alot left lol) will def enjoy a day out also.and a few beers after. 

user398345
Reply : Wed 2nd Nov 2011 20:36

Best advice I can give you, based on my ongoing struggle to get below 28, is to keep your head down throughout the shot, and ONLY look up to see where your ball has gone AFTER you've actually hit it!

This is easy to say, much, much harder to actually do in reality! But there is absolutely no doubt that my best shots are when I manage to do this!

Another tip worth sharing, assuming you know the right way to grip the club which is quite important, is not to hurry the back swing. A slow smooth load up will help to keep the club in the swing path back to the ball, without any effect on your balance and posture.

Also, if you try to knock the skin off the ball, it usually means that you don't hit it very far in my experience! Good luck and enjoy the day whatever you score.   

user435251
Reply : Fri 4th Nov 2011 20:37

cheers for the advice lads. had a good enjoyable day out. hit a few good shots(and a load of bad ones lol) . hit 146 in total. realy struggled on my fairway/rough shots tho!!! topped a few and hit a few that went about 20yrds ,then hit a good1 (thats how it goes i suppose). .did do 1 hole in par thanks to a 15yard plus putt(which made me feel a lot better!!) just hope things get better with practice and  a few rounds. any way thanks for the advice ,will try and take on board!!!  ian 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top