Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Feelings on new members?

Posted by: user434366 | Thu 27th Oct 2011 22:05 | Last Reply

Hello, I'm 21 years old and I've recently took up golf. I love the game and I am considering to join a club after christmas.

How leniant are clubs on handicap restrictions? What are members views on new starters at clubs who aren't up to a good/high standard. My last round was 108 (duxbury) which I know is horrible but I have booked my first lesson and I'm constantly striving to better my game.

I am just frightened about upsetting/getting abuse off upset members? I get along fine on these courses but in honesty most of the players aren't of such standard either. I can just imagine that at a club the standard is much higher and pace of play much faster.

Any extra info you think would help me would be much appreciated, thanks.

re: Feelings on new members?
user24437
Reply : Thu 27th Oct 2011 22:21

Dean.  The first thing I learned when I took up golf is to stop being embarrased about your own performance.  We've ALL stood on the first tee and made a complete twat of ourselves - it happens so get used to it, and remember, no-one has ever died of being ashamed.

On a more positive note, 108 is not that bad a score, I known some quite experienced players who struggle to break 100 week on week.  The more you play the more relaxed you become and the better you play......

Last edit : Thu 27th Oct 2011 22:21
user26342
Reply : Thu 27th Oct 2011 22:28

Dean,

You will find that most members will give you a warm welcome & encourage you. What I would say is pick your times to play, don't roll up on a Saturday morning when the hard core members are queuing up as this might put more pressure on yourself.

Good luck.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 27th Oct 2011 23:06

Dean,

I've been playing for almost six years now.  About this time last year I had a very similar handicap to the one I have now; not a world beater but one I'm sure you'd swap with me right now.  I went for a round one evening on a course I had played many times before.  It went badly.  Very badly.  After leaving my tee shot short of the green on the 14th and therefore in the lake, I had to walk back in.  Why?  Because I'd lost that many balls I had none left in bag.

Even the experienced golfers can have a mare.  You will be just another golfer out there.  As John says, try to avoid the busy times when you are learning so you feel less pressured, and don't worry about what others think.  As long as you play through anyone you are holding up they won't mind

Welcome to this wonderful, frustrating, fulfilling sport

user263834
Reply : Fri 28th Oct 2011 18:55

Hi Dean - I joined a local club (Wareham) for the first time this year having never had a "proper" handicap before. I played a few evenings on my own to get the hang of the course, meeting up with other members occasionally for a few holes.

I then built up the courage to turn up for some of the weekend roll-ups to get some cards sorted for a handicap - I was pleasantly surprised how welcoming everyone was, from 2 handicappers to 28+ handicappers.

So my advice would be to go for it!

user79118
Reply : Fri 28th Oct 2011 19:11

Dean,

I've played Shaw Hill a few times. Tough course, especially in the summer. Ball keeps rolling into the rough cos of the sloping fairways. 108 on Duxbury is not a bad knock. I play at Beacon Park which is also on a hill and at this time of year the ball holds well on greens and fairways. PM me if you fancy a knock up there one weekend. Friendly bunch there and always welcome new members no matter what there handicap.

user79118
Reply : Sat 29th Oct 2011 21:49

Dean,

it depends what you want from a club to start off with. Shaw Hill is a lovely course and the car park has a fair few posh cars on it but as I said earlier it is also a tough course. This could work two ways for you in that if you can learn your game there you will be able to play most other courses with relative ease but it may also dishearten you if your game doesn't improve at the rate you want it to and may leave you feeling frustrated and wanting to give the game up. If I was in your position, knowing what I know now then I would jump at the chance to join Shaw Hill, just don't get too down when your ball keeps rolling off the green or into the punishing rough. 108 on Duxbury for a beginner tells me that you probably will do alright on Shaw Hill though. Oh and don't forget to invite me up for a round.

user410273
Reply : Sun 30th Oct 2011 10:00

Dean, we've all been where you are. We've all had to hit our first tee shot in competition and we've all joined a club knowing virtually none of the members. And because we've all been there, virtually all club members will welcome you and give you a little latitude and help whilst you find you your feet in the game and the club - those that don't are prats anyway.

You will make the odd mistake, and may even do something that someone growls at but we all have and we all will do it again.

Shaw Hill isn't a bad course to start out on. You will find some mistakes severly punished there but you'll soon get the hang of it, and it will make you concentrate more - go for it.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top