Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Time for lessosn

Posted by: user408074 | Wed 19th Oct 2011 19:04 | Last Reply

I have always been a bit worried that a lesson would be - Try this now hit 40 balls while the pro jsut sits there.

But I would really like to improve as a golfist over this winter. Are they worth it - guess they are, but how spread out should a course of lessons be.

Oh and can anyone recommend a good instructor near York??

re: Time for lessosn
user417527
Reply : Wed 19th Oct 2011 19:35

I was always worried that pro's might be a little like that too, but both of the ones that i have tried have really been very active in getting me to improve my swing. I guess it depends on what your swing is like currently, but I would say that the trick is to just change things little by little over the course of a number of lessons, without getting you to change everything from scratch and giving you too much to think about.

I can't suggest I good pro to go to in York, but i would agree that winter is a good time to learn. Get things changed on the range and by the time Spring comes around you'll hopefully be in a far better state to take on the course.

user106712
Reply : Sun 23rd Oct 2011 15:58

This might be of use to you. Four 30 minute lessons for £22 at Garforth driving range. Might treat myself too !!

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/leeds/garforth/1254188?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_296&a=14 

Last edit : Sun 23rd Oct 2011 16:41
user24437
Reply : Sun 23rd Oct 2011 17:22

Can't help with anyone around your area Duncan, but I had a similar experience with pro's as you and never really bothered.  I didn't want to hear how good they were and to try and mimic their swing, I just never jelled with any of them.  However, I recently took up a block of lessons with a pro at a local course and he's a revelation.  He works with what I've got, explains what I should be doing and gets me to try to change one thing per lesson and go and work on it.  I don't think I've hit more than 15 balls in a 45 minute lesson with him, and although my scores aren't tumbling yet I'm starting to hit the ball like I should.  He's convinced I hit the ball well enough to get to single figures - maybe a pyschological lever but it seems to be working.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top