Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Right knee directly influences the ball, how exactly? FAO SLD

Posted by: user430109 | Thu 6th Oct 2011 00:09 | Last Reply

Firstly,

to David Thomas, sorry for highjacking your thread, that was not my intention and I wish you good luck with your golf.

To SLD, I am posting a link to a short video I made after our discussion earlier: http://youtu.be/9l38yBcoqxE, I hope this goes someway towards justifying my earlier comment "Remember, the ball doesn't care what your knee is doing!" which (I think) you said was "patently incorrect" (or words to that effect) and that "If I had not corrected it then very likely another Golfshaker would."

This was my favourite part:

"There are many views to be potentially argued, and likewise theories, but one would have to have totally lost the plot to fail to draw a causual relationship between knee action and ball action.  Such is neither a view nor a theory, but rather a fact."

I think therefore I must have lost the plot! Maybe my GC2 launch monitor has also...

David McCallum

Last edit : Thu 6th Oct 2011 10:02
re: Right knee directly influences the ball, how exactly? FAO SLD
user410273
Reply : Thu 6th Oct 2011 00:31

Sorry for jumping in before SLD David but just my (ignorant) 2p worth.

If Bubba Watson, John Daly, Jim Furyk, Eamonn Darcy, Calvin Peete ad nauseum can earn a good living at the game does it really matter the angle of the right knee. I prefer to see the swing as a number of interlinked actions where if one doesn't quite achieve the accepted norm/model, another part of the swing will compensate. And as long as those 6inches through the ball are on track the result will be okay - all that's missing is a good short game.

My swing is poor, and my weight transfer isn't pretty but I wouldn't dream of tampering with it. My good rounds are under par, my average rounds are mid 70's and the odd poor round is in the low 80's. In effect what I'm trying to say is there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt you're right but equally SLD's swing concept probably works too. At the end of the day, you've trained for what you do, you've earned a living at it, which suggests you built on that training. And its accepted that what you do is right or you wouldn't have survived. Anything else is just splitting hairs and semantics.

user410273
Reply : Thu 6th Oct 2011 10:47

Douglas Bader played with stiff legs, and absolutely no knee movement at all. His handicap in his prime, post losing his legs, was 2 and he played for Surrey. So to get down to 2 he must have played lower than 2, all without the use of knees.

So Ivan whilst I agree that the knees play their part in the traditional/model swing I'll stick with the premise that they aren't necessary to score well.

The score determines how good the golfer is, not the swing. So was Bader a poor golfer?

A good friend of mine has lost both legs due to diabetes. He may not be as good as Bader but he's not far behind. Guess what? Another good golfer without knee movement.

This is one of those splitting hairs arguments with no 'winners' or 'losers.'

user52922
Reply : Thu 6th Oct 2011 11:55

We all have to remember that Ivans thoughts on this, are because he needs the knees to generate the immense power that he has developed to be competittive in the sport of Long Driving.

We are all aware of the many different swings that the top pro's use, but photos of them all at impact position will be identical.

This is what makes teaching a bit of a lottery where the amateur is concerned.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 6th Oct 2011 14:19

Sanders, who advised you about Twitter ?

This plan could be seriously flawed for you ..................   you can only use 140 characters

Sorry couldn't resist.

user410273
Reply : Thu 6th Oct 2011 15:16

Guys,

I think some of you misunderstand the point I was making, and maybe need to have read at all my previous posts in this. My point was its possible to play good golf with or without all the accepted components of the swing working 100%. The result might not be a 300+yd drive but it might be 275yds. Or one guy might be hitting an 8 iron into the green whilst the guy with the 'dodgy' swing might be hitting a 6 iron, and two putts later both guys walk off with the same score.

You will also see that I decried neither Ivan or David but did in fact say they're both right. Jeez, maybe little more decaf needed guys.

And to repeat, its the score that determines the good player, not the swing.

user52922
Reply : Thu 6th Oct 2011 18:19

Exactly, Brian, it is a game of how many.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top