Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Can anyone relate to this?

Posted by: user350435 | Thu 22nd Sep 2011 12:40 | Last Reply

Been playing golf regularly for a year and been getting progressively better. Had numerous sub 100 rounds plus my best ever tound of 85 which was a few weeks back. However since then I appear to have lost it completely. I have no confidence over the ball and it seems like Im doubting everything (grip, stance etc) I went the range last night and started off with a 7 iron and they were going well, then all of a sudden the ball starts flying right and i have no idea why!i felt like giving up completely last night, thinking it might be best in the long run.anyone got any advice?

re: Can anyone relate to this?
user390191
Reply : Thu 22nd Sep 2011 13:57

try not think about the shot just hit it mind over matter

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 22nd Sep 2011 20:49

Matt,

I can completely understand as I was there just a few short weeks ago.  I was playing really consistently, scoring well and happy with my game.  Then it suddenly all went wrong.  Fanning, pushing, thinning, shanking, everything.  It got to the point I didn't want to go near the course because I knew what would happen and I was almost frightened of it.  So I got a lesson. One lesson.

I told the pro everything had gone wrong and I needed a reset.  He watched me hit half a dozen balls (which completely backed up what I had told him), showed me video clips of what I was doing wrong (mainly address position), put me back where I should be, moved me through the swing, got me to hit a few then sent me on the range to practice.  It's been 3 or 4 range baskets and a couple of rounds now.  The adjustments are bedding in and my game is coming back. 

Get yourself to a pro and have a lesson.  Not only will you fix your current problem, you'll probably see an overall improvement in your game too

user350435
Reply : Fri 23rd Sep 2011 08:06

cheers chris, however i had a course of lessons a few months back to sort out a nasty hook that i had developed so am reluctant to shell out more cash on lessons, plus i dont want to end up with him rebuilding my entire swing and having to start again

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 23rd Sep 2011 23:09

I didn't have a complete rebuild Matt; that's the last thing I would want too.  All he did was'tweak' the two or three things that had crept a little bit out and were adding up to a disaster. 

The way I see it, the longer I'd carried on doing things wrong, the harder they would be to put right.  I figured getting my golf back on track was worth £25, 30 minutes of listening and an hour on the range.  Not really far off the price and number of shots for a round really

user417527
Reply : Sun 25th Sep 2011 17:27

I am certainly not going to disagree with what Chris has said about getting "tweaked" by your golf pro (ooh err...), but what you seem to be going through is probably something that pretty much all golfers go through. One day I can play like I'm really starting to get the hang of it, and the next (okay, so I mean "most days") it's like I am playing with garden spades for clubs.

I have had lessons which have corrected me almost straight away on the range, but then once I have taken my game onto the course the faults (too numerous to mention) reappear. From that I would suggest that it is not always just about sorting your swing out.

Personally I think it's all about trusting your swing and (especially) feeling relaxed over the ball, and as long as you have some sort of game about you then that'll get you round okay. How you get that feeling is another matter, and if that means going to your pro to give you a few pointers to get your confidence up then that's a price you have to pay.

Last edit : Sun 25th Sep 2011 17:28
user350435
Reply : Wed 28th Sep 2011 09:36

Guys, went the range last night with my mrs (she used to play off 8) and I started off not great, kept pushing / slicing. Anyway she noticed a few things I was doing wrong (club face was not square to the target, it was facing right slightly, ball was not in centre of club face at address, it was right of centre and my right hand was really far over to the left) I started to hit them a lot better after I had corrected the above, deffo a lot straighter, just need to practice practice practice now!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top