Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

swing

Posted by: user215570 | Fri 16th Sep 2011 23:10 | Last Reply

i have bought a big headed driver but i cant hit the ball off the ground from the tee i dont use a full swing a friend has said  this is why i cant get it off the ground i just use a half swing can anybody confirm that this is  the reason   why i cant get it off the ground .thanks.

re: swing
user410273
Reply : Sat 17th Sep 2011 06:47

The sweet spot on the modern driver is quite high on the face. That, allied to the low loft on a driver, make it a very difficult club to hit of the ground. Its a relatively high risk shot and not one I'd take on very often - maybe once every few months, and even then its rare that it will come off.

user52922
Reply : Sat 17th Sep 2011 11:40

I have never been one to hit high balls, anyway, so now that my swing speed with a driver is down 70mph I have taken my good friend Ivans, advivce and purchased a secondhand 13.5 degree driver.

I have only used it twice and the first time was pretty dismal, but yesterday it showed signs of perhaps being able to do the trick for. Not any extra length of course but with the better flight I am managing to keep it in play.

There are far too many macho players using stiff shafts when they would certainly benefit from Regular ones and those of us with the slower swing speeds will certainly benefit from higher lofted drivers.

Last edit : Sat 17th Sep 2011 12:18
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 17th Sep 2011 11:41

Stephen,

First a couple of questions.

1. What 'loft' has this driver got?

2. Do you have this problem with other 'woods'?

3. How high are you teeing the ball?

Now let me guess.

Your friends say that you hit the ball as far as them with a half swing. This means you are delofting the club so this makes the driver have no loft when hit..

Have you bought a 8.5* or less club?

Just a few thoughts for you.

TheLyth

Last edit : Sat 17th Sep 2011 11:43
user16106
Reply : Sat 17th Sep 2011 12:25

Steven, How far do you hit your 3 & 5 wood ? I have been playing about 14 years and have only used a driver for the past 3 or 4 years as I too couldnt get it airbourne. A few tip on what I did to rectify although it may not work for evryone.

1. Position ball opposie left heel.

2. tee up using white castle tee peg.

3. put about 70% of weight on right foot during swing.

4. Ive got 13.5 deg driver. ( more like 2.5 wood ).

Try these and see how you get on.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user16106
Reply : Sat 17th Sep 2011 19:31

Ivan, my "high" white castle tee peg is 32mm in length. I have pink @ 40mm & grey @ 50mm. Are you saying something as fundamental as the higher the ball is teed up the further it will go? Am I missing something?

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user16106
Reply : Sat 17th Sep 2011 21:24

Very interesting. So Ivan if I have the same club head speed and same driver loft of 13.5 deg. Im going to increase my tee peg from 32mm to 50mm. Do I keep it at my left heel? If so is there any simple task to promote hitting on the rise? I will give this a go tommorow.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top