Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Outside help/Club distances during round

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 13th Sep 2011 10:52 | Last Reply

I just read the post on lead tape during a round and it got me thinking about an article/quick tip in this motnhs' Golf World with Sandy Lyle.

The tip is to basically to put some tape around each club and write on the tape your distances for a full swing, 3/4 swing, 1/2 swing and grip down swing.

Is this legal ?  and could you carry a card round showing your average distance or is it deemed to be outside help in some way ??

Last edit : Tue 13th Sep 2011 11:41
re: Outside help/Club distances during round
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 13th Sep 2011 11:42

You're probably right, I hadn't thought about the course yardage books they carry.  I just wasn't sure if you could specifically document club distances or whether that it was use from memory only.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 13th Sep 2011 12:47

Nothing wrong with you knowing how far you hit each club with a full, 3/4 and 1/2 swing.

Most of my scoring clubs I know in my head how far these distances are, but I have a piece of paper in my yardage book with them written down.

And it's not unusual for me to have to alter these distances two or three times during a season.

Don't know why, maybe I'm making a better contact with the ball, or even using a different golf ball.

Russ

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 13th Sep 2011 12:53

Thanks, you learn something new every day

What about a tips book showing quick fixes for things like playing downhill lies, ball below feet etc?

user99350
Reply : Tue 13th Sep 2011 12:57

AS GPSs are allowed I can't think of anything to do with yardage that can be seen as illegal. I personally don't agree with GPS's in competition (though I've listened on the tee). I think Russ is lucky if he knows how far his shots are going. I don't.. I go through phases where ...my full 9 iron can go 120-150 yds depending on my strike. a 20% difference is disconcerting.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top