Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

All in your head??

Posted by: user425018 | Mon 12th Sep 2011 18:04 | Last Reply

I am confident when i step up to a tee regarding what my plan of action is for this hole.
I instantly know whether i'm going to lay up or go for it. left of the fairway or right.

So why is it when you get to some holes on a course you instantly fall apart and for good reason.
My enemy hole in question is the 6th at cocks moors woods golf course. it is a par 4 roughly 350 yards with a slightly elevated and small green. out of bounds runs all the way up the right and a nice fairway to the left.

my problem lies off the tee... if ever my driver goes off straight it draws to the left. this is the ONLY hole that i fade the ball. without fail.

i was just curious if anybody else had/has a problem with their enemy hole and share your success story or thoughts?

thanks

re: All in your head??
user52922
Reply : Mon 12th Sep 2011 19:05

I currently have 18 of them, Karl, Every tee shot I am trying something different.

user410273
Reply : Mon 12th Sep 2011 19:22

Yep, got 2 or 3 usually short par 4's like yours that I can screw up. So I hit a 5 wood right into the middle of the fairway and hit a longer iron in. Takes the trouble out of play.

If your scary hole is 320yds long why not hit a 5 wood maybe 190 to 220yds, leaving you an easy wedge in.

user355541
Reply : Mon 12th Sep 2011 19:53

Strangely eenough, my problem is the reverse.

Two consecutive holes:

12th - 454 yards par 4, dogleg right to left, OOB starting to the right of the dogleg and running on the right all the way up to and past the green.

13th - 545 yards uphill par 5  with OOB right for first 400 yards and fairway sloping left with lots of gorse bushes.

What is strange is that I will almost always produce my best 2 drives of the round keeping out of trouble and getting into a good position. The question is - why can't I do the same drives on all the other par 4s and 5s?

user52922
Reply : Mon 12th Sep 2011 20:32

The mind wil focus much sharper when there is trouble to be negotiated as you will aim that much better. It is the easy holes where bad shots can creep in through being lax in alignment.

user289859
Reply : Mon 12th Sep 2011 20:36

The main "bogey" hole for me at my course is the 8th.  Standing on the slightly elevated tee the hole has a slight dogleg right with a bunker right on the dogleg. Trees down the left, and trees down the right.  It really is a simple hole, but for some reason, I'll get to that hole on some rounds and take a silly score.  I am improving it, but its crazy.  The approach to the green is slightly downhill and then back uphill to the green, so the 2nd shot appears a lot shorter than it is!

user425015
Reply : Tue 13th Sep 2011 16:25

I think John P has it spot on, it's either being too worried or too relaxed that will alter your drive. Knowing the hole in question I try and forget that OOB is even there and try and be as routine as possible. 

By worrying too much your probably (not knowing your doing it) over compensating and adding to your swing causing it to draw. 

I have a similar issue, again, which is all in the mind, as soon as I step up to the tee on a long hole (Par 5's - 480+) I automatically think about smashing the ball to get the required distance and end up messing it up completely. 

Damn you Brain!

user38216
Reply : Tue 13th Sep 2011 20:05

Not the last time I played at Cocks moors I belted it to within chipping distance on that hole! LOL! Nice little muni on the birmingham circuit, been a while since Ive played it though. Since ive started picking a line off the tee and lining up with a mark on the ground about ten foot in front of me ive stopped worrying about the danger that lies ahead, just go through the old routine, head down, stay in the shot power through and finish!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top