Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

swing half full or half empty

Posted by: user321680 | Mon 12th Sep 2011 11:33 | Last Reply

hello was reading something the other day about hitting 3/4 swings with iron approaches to greens. Similar to a 9 o'clock swing with a wedge i.e. left arm parralel to ground pointing away from you. It suggested it's an easier way to hit more accurate approach shots with the theory being you get more control off a shortened swing. I had always been told to hit full irons so that I knew my yardages precisely. 

So my questions are:

do any of you routinely hit 3/4 iron approach shots and how does it work for you?

is it a case of learning yardages for these shots as well or is there a simple calculation I could use to begin with?

or am I better with hitting full iron approaches?

I will obviously try this new method and see which method "feels" best for me but just curious as to other players swings in regards to approach shots. Previously I'd never considered playing less than full irons because I thought I'd lose precision through unknown/varying yardages.

many thanks in advance  in

re: swing half full or half empty
user52922
Reply : Mon 12th Sep 2011 11:48

John, if you don't attempt playing half shots then there is no way you can learn to play them.

I don't believe that yardage comes into any decision on club once within the 150 yards sector. It is all about a feel for distance and whilst full shots are easier to play consistently there are many times when a different approach is required.

As I have just said on a different thread I do not use the principle of backswing length to determine the distance, I only use the amount of weight I feel is needed, taking into account all the other factors that make up the decision of what and how to play.

Do yourself a favour and forget yardages and use your eyes and instinct. There is not a player in the world who can hit it exactly the distance they think each club will travel.

user410273
Reply : Mon 12th Sep 2011 11:50

I'm not sure I hit 3/4 shots with the short irons into greens but I do know I very rarely hit a full shot with a wedge/9/8 into a green. Mmm, maybe by definition I am hitting 3/4 shots...

I go for control over power when firing into the pin with a short club.

user52922
Reply : Mon 12th Sep 2011 12:04

You are playing the shot with feel, Brian, the distance has nothing to do with it. It is also why you are a good player.

user321680
Reply : Mon 12th Sep 2011 12:14

John I understand what you mean. I've only recently changed to the backswing length to distance ratio with my wedges and I have to say it's working with great success for me. It really helped with me keeping a steady rhythm to my swing instead of the thinking along the lines "I really need to hit this or play this easy". So if it works with my wedges it might work with my irons too. Worth a try anyway as you suggest.

user425018
Reply : Mon 12th Sep 2011 17:22

I have only been playing for less than 4 months and in that time ive learnt that yardages are a rough indicator really arent they?
the factor i think affect my swings, especially as you get closer to the green i.e. sub 130 yards, are things such as wind, where the flag is on the green, bunker or hazards around the green and also lie of the ball. like previous comments on this post, i believe it's all about feel.
some players may feel a 64 degree wedge may suffice with a full swing whilst as other feel more comfortable to guiding the ball with a pitching wedge. i personally feel most confident with the sand wedge or 9 iron.

the sand wedge i feel is a great compromise for chipping and pitching and also for altered swing speeds or power. the 9 iron is also good as i feel more confident controlling it when the lie isnt great.

however everyone plays differently and i may suggest experimenting with different swings and clubs and work out your own yardage. after all everyone is different really. this also helped me getting out of bunkers. just because its a sand wedge, doesnt mean thats the only club you should use in the bunker. i'm not a clean hitter out of the bunker so i tried a pitching wedge instead and it started to work. just club up if your not sure, youre more likely to under hit than over hit anywhere on the course really. especially approach play

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top