Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

4 Club comp

Posted by: user304232 | Mon 5th Sep 2011 16:58 | Last Reply

Hi all I'm playing in my 1st 4 club comp soon but I am very unsure about what clubs to choose at the moment it's a Driver,9 wood,9 iron & putter I guess it's hard for anyone to give me much help about choice as it depends on my course,conditions,weather etc.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Derek 

re: 4 Club comp
user338942
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 22:09

I was going to play a 3 club comp last year which got pulled at the last minute, but settled on 19* Rescue, 7iron & gap wedge. Put in a few hours on the putting green with the rescue and was was going quite well

user407798
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 00:53

I enjoyed this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BiwghcvToY&feature=relmfu ;

Luke Donald trying (and largely succeeding) hitting a 150yd par 3 green with everything from a 9 iron through to 3 wood.

Such a smooth swing.

With 4 clubs, I would probably take Driver, 7 iron, PW and putter - mainly as these are the clubs I tend to use the most anyway.

Takes me back to my school days and first attempts at golf at Hanger Hill Park pitch and putt in Ealing where they used to give you a 5 iron and a putter but even at about aged 12 no hole was a full 5 iron. There was one downhill hole, we often used to putt it! Was pleased to see it still there the other day over 30 years on.

user250721
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 15:02

I you took a 1 or 2 Iron you could argue that this would be ok for putting therfore giving more option for other selections?

1 Iron

7 Iron

9 Iron

Sand Wedge

user304232
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 15:38

Cheers guys for the advice still humming & heying over what to pick tried to run the holes over in my head but that was with me expecting to hit good shots there's always going to be some rank poor shots that will leave me scratching my head thinking why the hell did I pick that club.Top marks for the Luke Donald clip liked it.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 19:08

I'd go with

• 3 wood
  • 6 iron
  • Pitching wedge
  • Putter

I reckon I could cover most yardages with a half to full swing, 3 wood can be used from most tees and for second shot on par 5's and I use my PW for chipping around the greens too.  I could probaby swap the PW for a 52* wedge though

user106712
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 20:16

Have you tried putting with a wedge? I find it quite easy, just hit the ball in the middle with a putting stroke.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 20:43

I don't need to be on the green to hit the ball in the middle with a wedge.......

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top