Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

slicing to right just on driver

Posted by: user419282 | Mon 5th Sep 2011 16:01 | Last Reply

hi guys why is it i go to the driving range and seem to hit them straight,but as soon as i get on a course i have to aim way left to drop it in the middle of the fairway,the ball seems to set off straight, then comes the dreaded right,ive tried in front of the ball, behind the ball,diff grip,diff posture,whats going on here can anyone shed any light on this, thanks.

re: slicing to right just on driver
user421298
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 16:22

Sorry no anwser ,but mine does that too 40% of the time

user338942
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 22:17

Massive percentage of golfers - not just high handicapers - naturally fade/slice the ball. For most, it takes a lot of work and swing adjustments to straighten out and/or start hitting a draw. I'm far from qualified to start giving tips, but your far from being alone in this boat!!

user85262
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 09:27

Jason

I had this problem when I first started playing golf for approx 3 years.

Dont slice now but sometimes have a slight unwanted left to right but I know straight away why.

I cured it by making sure that as I come down into the ball my right arm crosses over on top on the left arm,  experiment turning it over earlier than you think you should do.  You may hit some straight left at first but when you get the timing right you'll be sorted.

I wouldnt try to compensate by aiming more to the left as this will just make your slice worse.  Sounds daft but if anything align your feet slightly right of target and come into the ball from the inside.

Hope that works for you.

John

user52922
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 09:42

I cured it by making sure that as I come down into the ball my right arm crosses over on top on the left arm,

All this will do is shut the face, don't ever do this. the right arm does not cross over the left until after impact,

user85262
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 10:44

Hi John P

I think it is certainly worth a try to someone that is consistantly slicing the ball and was given this advice in a lesson from a pro that has been teaching for 30 years. He has coached Nick Dougherty amongst others and both his son and daughter are pro's so I think he knows what he's talking about.

Although I personally need to have the feeling of the right arm going over the left sooner rather than later it probably happens as i come down into and throught the ball.  Slicers probably dont have the feeling at all and the club face is still left open way after impact.

If I ever slice the ball now I know that I havent released the club properly. (similar to hitting the ball with a cricket bat) I am suggesting it is the feeling of getting the right arm to turn over the left and as I pointed out - (You may hit some straight left at first but when you get the timing right you'll be sorted )))

My problem was I wasnt releasing the club at all properly and I think this happens with a lot of new golfers, it sorted me out so i expect it will help others to have that feeling.  I think that when having lessons from a pro they will tend to want to exagerate the feeling of what should be happening and the same applies here. (and of course each lesson / bit of advice is specific to an individual so wont always apply)

All I suggest is that its worth a try and if the ball goes straight left then as John P says the club face has been closed too soon and so try the same but delay the release slightly longer.   I'd be interested to see if works for you Jason.

user85262
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 11:00

Jason

I had this problem when I first started playing golf for approx 3 years.

Dont slice now but sometimes have a slight unwanted left to right but I know straight away why.

I cured it by making sure that as I come down into the ball my right arm crosses over on top on the left arm,  experiment turning it over earlier than you think you should do.  You may hit some straight left at first but when you get the timing right you'll be sorted.

I wouldnt try to compensate by aiming more to the left as this will just make your slice worse.  Sounds daft but if anything align your feet slightly right of target and come into the ball from the inside.

Hope that works for you.

John

user52922
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 11:25

John H, sorry to disagree but it is a physical impossibility to cross the right forearm over the left until after impact.

user85262
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 12:01

I know John  - for me to get in the position it shows above (2nd to last picture) initally i had to make a concious effort to turn my right arm over sooner than i was doing when i was slicing - i dont think about it now it just happens.

like i said, its exagerated but i expect that Jason's hands & arms are still as in the picture 3rd to last when he is thru the ball and in the position of 2nd to last pic if that makes sense.

i also find as well that what you think you are doing isnt always the case until you watch on video and so an earlier release and he will probably still be after impact but thats the feeling i needed.

user85262
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 12:24

I know John  - for me to get in the position it shows above (2nd to last picture) initally i had to make a concious effort to turn my right arm over sooner than i was doing when i was slicing - i dont think about it now it just happens.

like i said, its exagerated but i expect that Jason's hands & arms are still as in the picture 3rd to last when he is thru the ball and in the position of 2nd to last pic if that makes sense.

i also find as well that what you think you are doing isnt always the case until you watch on video and so an earlier release and he will probably still be after impact but thats the feeling i needed.

user85262
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 12:25

sry about the duplicate posts?  click happy today

user52922
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 12:31

John H, your action sequence of the golf swing only confirms what I said in my first post. Only after impact does the right arm start to cross over. This is a natural progression that cannot be easily altered.

Giving advice on this forum is impossible without seeing the player in action, and even then, there are very few who can spot the real reason for a particular flight of the ball.

Most swing faults are because of incorrect alignment and this is because the shoulders, coupled with other alterations in setup, are what determines the shape of the shot one is attempting to play

My experience tells me that the majority of players have their shoulders aligned slightly open at address, this is because it is extremely difficult to line up square and takes much thought and practice to be able to consistently do this.

I particularly  like the position he gets himself into in photo five. It is this position, at this part of the swing, that separates those who can and those who can't.

user52922
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 16:07

My God, I could certainly get into some arguments today having read Richards post. I have obviously been doing it wrong for fifty five years.

user69704
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 16:20

I have exactly the same problem and i have tried a number of different things

1 on address on set move my back foot away from the ball aprox 2 inches

2 on address deliberatly close the face of the club at address

3 and this is what i am doing at the moment leave the driver in the house. use my 3 wood and 9 times out of 10 will strike the ball true and his nearly as far as with my driver.... If i could now only learn to keep my head still i might stop topping the ball........

user85262
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 16:20

sorry richard but i couldnt agree with that

Assuming right handed, the weight must go to the right foot on backswing and then weight shifts to left on downswing (although keeping body behind the ball on downswing)

user52922
Reply : Wed 7th Sep 2011 18:08

Jason, the shoulder line is one of the most important positions in setting up for ones shot, but it is also worth bearing in mind that the shoulders remain square right through to the impact position and I would suggest that when you get to the top of your swing, try and keep your right shoulder back, instead of turning immediately from the top.

Most players turn immediately from the top pushing their right shoulder forward in an attempt to get power when the first move should be to drop the hands down into the inside position before thinking aggression.

Last edit : Wed 7th Sep 2011 18:13
user52922
Reply : Wed 7th Sep 2011 20:42

Ivan, if you observe the way players drive today, you will immediately notice that very few coil sufficiently enough to get any benefit from it, power these days seems to come from aggressive hand action combined with a sliding weight transfer.

You, of course are attempting to hit the ball a very long way and therefore use everything available to you by using  the energy which can be created by coiling and uncoiling correctly.

I have always been a swinger as opposed to a hitter and though I used to coil correctly when I could play the game, I'm afraid my body just refuses to get into those positions anymore.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top