Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

de vere membership, join or not, you decide!

Posted by: user419549 | Thu 1st Sep 2011 22:42 | Last Reply

So you fancy joining a golf club, you flick through your monthly magazine and you see an advertisement for The De Vere Golf Club that offers you the complete package that seems too good to be true.

As the blurb says: Full member benefits, play in any club competitions, a flexible modern membership, all of this for £295.

I pay my money and away I go,  I play a few competitions and soon it is the club championship, I dream every golfers dream of lifting the trophy like the greats I've watched through the years.

I play in the club championship, a 36 hole scratch competition and wow! 2 great rounds, I am a winner! I've only gone and won the club championship, happy days, the cup is presented to me and my dream is reality, it doesn't get much better than this.

A few days later, I start to hear whispers, then I receive vague e-mails from the club, then more e-mails still unclear but hinting at my eligibility to enter the club championship. Eventually I receive a letter informing me that because my handicap was classed as an away player I could not play in the club championship or enter board competitions. Someone (with a wonderful imagination) at the club thought what if..... a member who joined casually who was an active member of another club, played the specific number of events to qualify for a board competition, swept up the prizes (as if it was that simple) and is never seen again,

I am told that this rule that was introduced for the greater good of the entire membership  and to protect the integrity of the membership and competition entry,  Obviously not the entire membership, as I am a member but I am definately not receiving  full member benefits nor am I able to play in any club competitions, It is apparent that because I am an "away" member I am treated differently, maybe it is because I am a DVC member and not a platinum member (which is no longer available even if you wanted one).

I have contacted De Vere customer services on numerous occasions and still had no response, they have had my money, promised me competitive golf but I cant enter the competitions that matter. I suggest De Vere marketing and Herons Reach start singing from the same hymn sheet.

re: de vere membership, join or not, you decide!
user99350
Reply : Fri 2nd Sep 2011 08:42

This is scandalous and if this is the case you should have been tild before you entered...it may have swayed you not to play. I'd fight this tooth and nail if only to highlight the unfairness of it all.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 2nd Sep 2011 11:24

1)  Ask for your money back as you are not receiving the services that you paid for.

2)  Contact Trading Standards and make a complaint about this service and the advertising.

3)  Contact BBC Watchdog and explain what has happened.

4)  Keep all documents that you have, especially any that show you are entitled to play in club competitions.

5)  Write to DeVere (Recorded Delivery) explaining your complaint and asking for your money back.  Mention that you have contact your local Trading Standard and the BBC Watchdog programme.

Somebody at DeVere head office will take notice and things should start moving.

It's upto you what you want.  From what you have stated I'd want all my money back.  You might be happy just to get some of your money back and continue with the membership, that's what you have to decide..

Hope this helps.

Russ

Last edit : Fri 2nd Sep 2011 11:27
user127691
Reply : Fri 2nd Sep 2011 15:50

I play at wychwood and the DVC members there are eligibale to play in and win comps. Is this specifically to do with DVC membership or to do with your away handicap?

People who are full members or DVC members can not take part in comps at other Devere courses unless you have it listed as your home club. This should not effect you though if your away handicap is from a non Devere club.

user127691
Reply : Fri 2nd Sep 2011 16:02

Steve,

I've just seen your earlier post where you list the below from the FAQ page

Can I play in club competitions?
As a De Vere club member you are able to play in any club events
at your home club. Your home club is where you originally purchase
your points.

I am assuming your home devere course is Heron's Reach, is this the case? If so you should be eligible. The home course rule refers to players playing in other Devere comps when bnot at there home club. This is to stop people joining a cheaper Devere venue and playing all there golf at a more exspensive venue.

It should not affect you if like I said before your handicap is an away handicap from a non Devere course. I can raise the querie with our comp secretary this weekend for you see what his opinion is.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top