Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Frequency of Play for the Mid to Low Handicapper

Posted by: user405848 | Thu 1st Sep 2011 11:28 | Last Reply

Hi again everyone.  After my long break from golf, it's taken me a month to get from a 28 handicap to a 14 handicap.  I have been playing once or twice a week.

Now, my personal situation only allows me to play once a week and maybe get to the driving range one night in the week. 

I am concerned that I will go downhill very quickly.  I was wondering if there are any mid to low handicappers who can maintain or improve their handicap being in my situation.

I know that good practice is the key to doing well in this sport.  I'm worried that I will get worse and lose interest, therefore having nothing to look forward to in the week.

re: Frequency of Play for the Mid to Low Handicapper
user124316
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 11:47

Edward,

I to like yourself am very limited to how often i actually get to play or practise and quite rightly believe that quality of practise is more important than quantity, my handicap has tumbled this year down to where i am now.

So dont get disheartened just plug away and use the small amount of time you have to practise in a constructive way and i am sure you will get to your target

user410273
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 14:23

I play 3-4 times a month but tend to miss a couple of longer spells through the winter months.

user407798
Reply : Sat 3rd Sep 2011 00:23

I guess if you are a mid to high handicapper then by definition there must be flaws in your game. If you then practice a lot maybe you are getting yourself more used to playing incorrectly!

I also guess rapid improvements can't last - we all tend to reach the level of our natural ability before too long. I guess then it is a case of deciding if that level is good enough for you or if you want to devote time and effort to working out how to improve further. 

user410273
Reply : Sat 3rd Sep 2011 08:44

Got to agree with Tim on practicing an incorrect swing. Many many years ago I had a few lessons from a very good teaching pro who's sadly teaching up in heaven now. He collared me on the practice ground and congratulated me for working on grooving a fault into my swing. He spent 20 mins-ish giving me a free lesson on the basics, one aspect of which was sorting out my grip. I'd got down to 8 with a baseball grip and the thumb of my left hand on top of the fingers of my right hand. I played in a league match that afternoon with all the changes he'd given me and still won, and by the  end of the summer I was down to 5 after being stuck on 8/9 for a few years. Thanks Don, you were a star!

I don't play anything like the amount of golf some do but play comfortably off 5. Get the basics right, groove them in, then go for an 'MOT' lesson every now and again for a tune up. And if you do practice, practice the right things. Its pointless bashing loads of balls with a driver if you're already hitting it 250yds with a good FIR.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top