Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Stableford Tactics

Posted by: user124316 | Thu 1st Sep 2011 09:24 | Last Reply

Morning All,

Just for interest purposes really, but what are peoples tactics when playing Stableford, do you attack the holes where you have a shot and play all other holes conservativly, or do you attack the holes you dont have shots on and play the holes you have shots on conservativly.

Or like me just go after everything and hope for the best? 

re: Stableford Tactics
user410273
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 10:08

I play the hole as I see it, e.g. if there's a lake in front of it I'll play for whatever will get me some points, even if its only 1 point. Do you go for the fat part of a green that is heavily guarded on the flag side of the green? Giving points away is easy in a stableford comp, just as giving strokes away in a medal is easy. Next time you're out for a knock by yourself play the full round going for everything irrespective of how narrow a fairway is or how guarded the green is.

Don't forget shot holes are shot holes for a reason. They're more difficult, and usually its easy to rack up a cricket score on them.

Always play the hole/course, not the comp. The comp score will take care of itself...

re: Stableford Tactics
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 10:31

The only thing I do different to stroke play is get aggressive on an approach/chip that needs a single putt for a point or on a putt that if it doesn't drop means a blob. Otherwise I play it the same. Matchplay is a different thing altogether though......

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top