Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Putting averages

Posted by: user338942 | Thu 1st Sep 2011 01:30 | Last Reply

Hi folks, 

Just looking to see how everyone's putting averages stack up. I average month-on-month around the 32 mark, but I have no idea how that rates in terms of my handicap, or what sort of putting figures I should be posting to get to the magical single figures.

re: Putting averages
user131525
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 08:20

Like any stats, they can't be taken in isolation.  The number of putts I take has risen lately, but my GiR has improved (hence leaving me with longer putts as I'm hitting the green from further out).  If, for example, you took 4 shots to get on the green on a par 4, it's likely your number of putts would be low as you'd be chipping from the edge of the green and much more likely to get nearer the pin.  Number of putts doesn't necessarily bare any corrolation to handicap.

user99350
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 08:28

James, it's a pity your putts didn't rise in our recent matchplay!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 08:41

Dave, great post!

29 putts for a Cat 1 (less than 5 target)

I've some updates to Golfshake going live later today and then hopefully later next week the awesome stuff which plugs in this gap in your post. 

It's all done I'm just compiling the handicap benchmarks off 1.2 million rounds of golf!  and hopefully weeding out bogus rounds and getting as accurate as possible.

Last time I analysed 32 putts was the average for a 10-14 handicapper.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 09:08

If you are taking an average of 32 putts per round and your GIR is high, you'll score well.

It's taking everything into account, rather than one part of your game in isolation that matters.

Tee off and just miss the fairway, mid iron to the edge of the green, chip it close, one putt.  Your stats look great for putting, but appalling for GIR!

The two main stats for me are GIR and Putts per round. 

If you have a handicap of 18 then missing the green is expected, you will then chip onto the green and two putt.  Every now and then you'll one putt.  Play the course using your shots and eventually the handicap will come down.

This is why people should practice their short game.  It will really help with your scores to improve your short game.  Even the pros don't hit the green on every hole, but most of them get the ball up and down for par!

It's nice to know that one part of your game is working, but to get a lower handicap you have to get a two or three parts of your game all working together.

Russ

user410273
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 10:23

Every part of your game impacts your score but the closer you get to the hole the more important that part of the game is. Miss the centre of a fairway by 20yds and in a lot of cases, no harm done. Miss a green by 10 yds and you're looking to chip close. Stick the ball 5 feet from the hole and you're looking to hole it.

You could be the best putter in the club but if its taken you 5 shots to reach the green you're not going to score well. Equally, if you're giving yourself lots of 5 footers for par/birdie and learn to knock a high percentage in you're going to be a good player.

A high GIR will, to a certain extent lead to a high putting average but the stat that is important is your 'up and down' in two stat. This gives a good indication of your chipping and putting ability. Being able to two putt greens from 30 feet or 5 feet doesn't paint an accurate picture but your recovery ability will.

My putts per round has risen this year to about a 30 average, which on face value is disappointing, but my GIR has also risen meaning I have more long putts to contend with.

user338942
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 20:08

Blimey, touchy subject!!! lol, was expecting a few figures and stories of how people are improving their work on the dance floor

All round game is as follows - Driving - 55%-60%   GIR - 25%ish (poor, needs to improve)   Putts - 32.

Working on ball striking at moment, duffing too many from the middle of the fairway

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 22:20

Over the last two years my Putting average is 31.27. That is from GIR's at 71% off F/W's of 79%.

TheLyth

user127691
Reply : Fri 2nd Sep 2011 15:55

Dave,

Stats don't tell you if you putt well enough, you should know if you are missing way to many short putts or getting nowhere near with your long putts.

Looking at your stats you have a low GIR and average putting stats says to me your chipping needs the work not so much your putting

user127691
Reply : Fri 2nd Sep 2011 15:56

Dave,

Stats don't tell you if you putt well enough, you should know if you are missing way to many short putts or getting nowhere near with your long putts.

Looking at your stats you have a low GIR and average putting stats says to me your chipping needs the work not so much your putting

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top