Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

gps or rangefinder..

Posted by: user303554 | Tue 30th Aug 2011 17:08 | Last Reply

evening,

what are everyones opinions on gps / rangefinders?

im slowly getting better and am now at a stage where i want to be more accurate about distance i can hit each club and indeed how far away my target is..im sure many of us get frustrated with many distances at clubs that look or are shorter or longer than thought...anyway..

can anyone advise on the main advantages and disadvantages of each??what do you use?

in my miond im thinking id want to know length off tee...for 2nd shot length to certain hazards and the pin..then when i hit the green is it possible to know how far my ball is from the pin? I want to see how accurate my short game is and track this...forgive my ignorance and thanks for any comments...

re: gps or rangefinder..
user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 17:37

I personally think they do nothing for anyones game,

How many times have you witnessed the top pros, consulting their caddies with all the available information at their fingertips and then  hitting the ball 30 yards over the green.

Golf was meant to be played using ones eyes.

Any player who thinks he plays to strict yardages is talking out of his hat.

Don't waste your money, Gavin. learn how to play with feel.

user303554
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 17:44

cheers for the response john..ive posted whilst reading dave pelzs book..i like the idea of his PEI measurements etc and this seemed the only way to track distance etc without guess work...also i want to know my distances that i hit irons..i want to use it for practice....id still use feel for my approach shots and would never go with technology over my own opinion..it cant account for ground nor weather etc i just want one as a useful aid and ive heard bushnell have a cheap neo version that seems to be getting great reviews??

if you dont let it make your decisions can you not see the benefit for practice / awareness etc?

user410273
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 17:45

I've got the gps version. Bought it this time last year... no difference whatsoever to my handicap or how many times I've picked up cash. Its probably been of benefit about 3 or 4 times, and that was to make sure I didn't pick a club that put me in a hazard.

Think about how many times you've played when there's been no wind... if its windy they're a total waste of space. 

user417527
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 17:54

Personally i like the thought of knowing what the distance is to the green, as that way I feel like I am at least giving myself a chance of using the right club. That doesn't mean to say that the right person is on the end of the club playing the shot though!!

I hear what John says about learning to "play using your eyes", but I find I struggle for distances at a lot of courses where I haven't played there frequently. I don't know if there is a standard height for the "pin", but sometimes I can be completely out when it comes to judging a distance using that as a marker. I am happier if i can see other players on the green, as that at least gives me a perspective I can deal with. Obviously I wait for them to leave the green before mishitting my approach

user52922
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 18:28

OK, you have taken a gps reading and it says you are 150 yards from the pin. Now what?

user303554
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 18:37

i hit 9 iron john (because in my practice thats the distance my rangefinder tells me id hit it

im not looking for an answer to perfect distance id play by feel still....itd be useful for practice clarity and on courses id not played before..links courses as an example where tees are hidden / at ened of undulating fairways...im neither for or agianst them in principle..i think the cost of many is tough to justify but if a cheap one is available that works?

could i not hit 100 balls with every club?? track their distance? ssurely this would give me a great average of my distance with cetrtain irons??

user24437
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 18:43

I agree with John (much against a lot of opinion on here).  So it's 150 to the green - uphill, downhill cross-wind, taii-wind, cold day, hot humid day, fluffy lie etc, etc.  You may well use the GPS to gauge the distance but your brain works the rest out - especially if it's actually 155 or 145 to the flag...

Trust the force, young Luke Gavin

user303554
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 19:04

haha thankyou mr hawkins..i mostly agree with you bioth..but (if you read my post ) im not looking for "the difference" from this..nor would i use it as my decision maker..im just considering it as an aid to all round game and more so practice..are you playing at bridlington?

user24437
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 19:39

Unfotunately can't make Bridlington this time, prior commitment to the G Tour.  Shame, because I really love links courses

user303554
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 19:43

How is the g tour? I keep saying I'll commit to it but haven't yet. I believe the a tour is good too??

user246626
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 22:41

I have a SkyCaddie SG2.5, And ever since i brought it my handicap has dropped from 21 to what it is now (pretty chuffed). You can measure how far you have hit a shot with a push of a button so therefore you can get a distance as to what you can hit each club. It gives you a distance to the front,middle and back off the green from your exact position. You can also get distances to hazards (bunkers,water...) it gives you a distance to the hazard and a distance to carry the hazard and then it gives you the distance left to the pin.

The SG2.5 is an older version and a black and white screen. The newer version SGX is colour screen and a bit more expensive.  Another option is a bushnell.

Hope this helps. 

user417527
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 22:53

One other thing I have noticed from using GPS in the carts in the US, is that knowing the distance to the BACK of the green really makes you think about taking an extra club to the one you might choose to get to the pin.

This may not sound like much, but for higher HC'ers like myself it can often be the safer shot to take. Often most of my shots tend to come up short rather than long (conveniently forgetting the ones that go left and right), so by taking a club that you know won't go over the back even if you hit it flush, then you stand a better chance of hitting the green. If that makes sense.

And of course you have to know how far you hit each club, which brings us back to one of the points of the original poster...

Last edit : Tue 30th Aug 2011 22:55
user407798
Reply : Wed 31st Aug 2011 00:30

I've got the Garmin Approach S1 (the wrist watch) and really find it useful to see what the distances are to front, middle and back.

Also unlike many here I am a very inexperienced golfer. Have only done 3 full 18 hole rounds in last 10 years (but lots of 9 holes and par 3 stuff of late) so I don't know any course like the back of my hand and still really learning how far I can hit each club - especially with my new Ping G15s. So I guess if it's fairly flat and it says 100y would probably reach for my PW, if maybe 150y perhaps the 7 iron etc etc

But yeah if it's windy or uphill you still got to make those manual judgements.

My main sport is running and GPS devices are now very well established to tell you distance ran, pace etc. Some say you don't need them which of course you don't as they don't do the running for you nor play the shots but it aids my enjoyment of both so why not.

user338942
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 01:33

People are going to start thinking I have share in this product I rave about it so much, but if you have a smartphone look at GolfShot. More data and reference points than the best GPS units. Good stats recorder. Has every course in the land, without having to manually update it on each outing and is £20 rather whatever 3-figure sum you have set aside.

In terms of my use of it, the first couple of months I found myself relying on the GPS and it does your game no favours at all. Eyes and feel is where the big judgement come from. What it does though, is takes that doubt between clubs away, especially if you take the back of the green reading as what Neville said. You might for example be stood next to a 150 marker, but actually be 180/190 to the back to green

Last edit : Thu 1st Sep 2011 01:44
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 09:01

I've been using a SkyCaddie SG5 for just under two years now.

I prefer the GPS unit rather than a laser rangefinder.

Most of the golf courses now have a hole map so I can see what problems are in front of me, and get a distance to it, or over it.

Laser rangefinders will not show you a hidden bunker, or other obstacle that is hidden.  Therefore, you may tee off only to find your ball in a ditch/bunker, etc.

Now if you only play the one course all the time you'll know about these obstacles anyway.

My SkyCaddie SG5 will never, and I repeat never lower my handicap.  Only by improving my golf will I achieve this!

What my SkyCaddie SG5 does is give me confidence in the fact that I've chosen the correct club for the distance shown.

Once I arrive at my golf ball and look at how my lie is then I look at the distance to the middle of the green.  I then adjust this distance to allow for all the other factors that will affect my golf ball, like wind, slope, ect.

Where I find my SkyCaddie SG5 invaluable is when I play a new course.  The map of each hole is a good start.

Then, when I arrive at my golf ball I know the distance to the middle of the green and won't be fooled by any optical illusions!

For me, the SkyCaddie SG5 does speed up my play.  I trust the distances shown and I know which club to use for that distance.

I've only ever looked through a laser rangefinder a couple of times and it does give you the distance to the flag, but to me that would only be what it shows. 

Russ

user24437
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 10:05

Just a quick note on smartphone apps.  In some competitions (certainly the G Tour) you will only be able to use it if all the other phone functions are disabled - basically that means taking the sim card out - because it could be said to be giving you other information on temperature, wind speed etc:  How much practical use to you that would be in the real world is debatable. 

user26342
Reply : Thu 1st Sep 2011 22:33

Gavin,

Go get yourself a GPS. I've had one now for over 3 years & as Russ has mentioned above it won't suddenly make you hit the ball better etc but what it will do, if you use it correctly, will confirm to you how far you hit each club. Will give you distances to the front, middle & back of the green as well as hazards.

I know people on here have said but once you know the yardage you've still got to hit the shot. Correct but rather than a guestimate you'll know exactly how far you've got & sometimes the difference between the front & back of a green can be anything from 1 to 2 clubs which can make a long 2 putt for par a very easy birdie putt?

I had an instance today where at my new club where I've only played twice before was at the 150 marker which are to the centre of the green. My SGX confirmed it was 150 to the centre but the flag was all the way to the back which my SGX said was 175 so instead of an 8 iron I took a 6 iron & hit it stiff to 1 foot.

Most people buy big headed clubs, cavity back clubs etc to make this game easier but think that a GPS is different!?!

My advice GO FOR IT.

user26342
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 14:08

Colin,

Does using cavity back irons, big headed drivers, belly putters etc make players lazy as well? Shouldn't these players learn how to strike a ball pure so they can use blades etc?

Using a GPS makes the game quicker. So many times I see players pacing from the 150 yard marker & then getting the course planner to work out distance etc & then coming up short (as well as take soooo long to decide which club to hit)

GPS users still have to factor in wind, slope, roll etc, it just makes getting to that stage a lot quicker & easier.

Have you ever used one?

user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 14:14

Quicker???? you are having a laugh, Floody.

user26342
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 14:21

John,

quicker compared to those players that pace the yardage from the markers & then consult the course planner.

When using my GPS I stop at ball, look at screen, take a few seconds to calculate other factors & then choose club.

user355541
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 15:04

Tim

How on earth did you manage to get a 14 handicap having played only 3 rounds in the last 10 years?

Last edit : Mon 5th Sep 2011 15:04
user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 17:03

Not one person on this forum can honestly say how far they hit any particular club.

I am quite sure that if they were to measure say 10 shots with each club there would be a huge difference in length between the shortest and the longest of each club.

I myself have not got a clue about how far my clubs go, as  have never been interested in knowing, because each shot presents its own difficulties, which have to be quickly assessed. Some of us can do this quickly and others just do not know what they are doing anyway.

But then having been brought up to play this game as it was intended without the need of 150 yard markers, I don't find clubbing that difficult at all. Never have.

user26342
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 17:16

Colin,

Didn't mean to strike a nerve!

I have had this argument about GPS on this forum before & the outcome was that the person, who had exactly the same opinion as you, used one for the first time & now swears by them. So if you have never used one I don't see how you can criticise?

"Where does it state that golf has always been meant to be played by striking the ball PURE and by using Blades only. " -  Fair point BUT where does it state that you can't use GPS??

"You don't hit the ball with your gps now do you, so why should it be available when wind speed monitors are not.  Throughout the history of this great game  I cannot find any reference to a gps, just the type of clubs and balls used and how they have developed over the years, oh, and not everyone has access to a gps so those who do use them in my opinion have an unfair advantage." - OK, so if people who don't have a GPS are of an unfair advantage then are you saying that a GPS is actually a benefit to a golfer? But anyway I don't think it's a valid argument as you could say that anyone who has access to electric trolleys, waterproofs, the latest clubs, etc are also gaining an advantage, that's just the way of the world.

Funny that on practice days before a big comp the pro's & their caddies use GPS devices, don't think any of them suffer with arithmetic or dementia?

I would be interested to see what your GIR% stats are as if your judgement in distance is that good I would expect to see a very high percentage.

Now the R & A allow you lesser golfers the opportunity to cheat yourselves. - Very derogatory comment, what are you basing that on??. Are people with higher handicaps than me 'lesser' golfers.

As for calculating distances faster by gps, i usually have my distances sorted before i'm within 20 yds of the ball, i don't have to get to my ball before i decide to start calculating distances and other factors.  - I calculate other factors when I'm walking to my ball, wind, stance etc so when I get to my ball, look at my GPS & get an ACCURATE yardage I can make a very good decision. How would you decide what club to take if you had a blind shot over a hill & the flag was at the back of the green & you had no idea how long or big the green was?

But if you still think these toys make you faster then good luck.  LOL - Not think, KNOW!!

Last edit : Mon 5th Sep 2011 17:18
user26342
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 17:30

John,

What I can tell you is that I have been on the range & hit around 50 (what I call my stock shot) balls with each club (not all on the same day!!) & used them as a gauge.

These distances were measured using my GPS device. So within 5 yards either way I know how far each club will go based on a flat lie & a good strike.

Out on the course this is a good base to start the thought process.

For example if I've got 150yd to the centre of a green on a flat lie in the middle of the fairway & the green is very receptive I will take 8 iron.

Same situation but this time the green is very hard I can either take a 9 iron to the front of the green or play a 3/4 8 iron to land on the front of the green & roll out.

Same situation but this time the green is raised approx 30yrds I would probably take a 7 iron (depending on flag position).

these distances will change throughout the year with differing weather.

I would of thought that most pro's going all the way back to Jack, Seve etc would of done some sort of similar exercise?

This works for me & I'll keep doing it.

user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 18:21

I just cannot see the obesession with yardages, eye sight and a feel for distance is all that is required. The actual club taken is mostly irrelevant, it is how you see the shot, how you decide to play it and how much weight you put on it. If you don't play golf that way then your enjoyment is being severely curtailed.

I don't suppose any of you use grip pressure and ball position when deciding what your shot is going to be, just the same old mechanical stock shot that one seems to think is the be all of end all.

user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 18:25

Do I detect that I am finally getting through to my partner, or am I dreaming.

user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 19:31

The problem with the younger players is that they have been brought up under the metric system of measurement and have no idea how far 100 yards is without having a GPS.

I don't have any club in my bag that produces the same distance every time I play it, the reason being that every shot is dependent on so many factors that really make yardages completely irrelevant.

I doubt very much if I apply the same weight to any club as I am always deciding on other matters like trajectory, shape and then the amount of weight I put onto it.

I am surprised that they are capable of judging a putt without knowing how many metres it is. Oh!! I forgot, they use their inbuilt instinct and feel for the weight.

user26342
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 19:38

Colin,

You call it lazy I call it progression. I can't see the obsession with trying to make this game as hard as possible.

If you want to play this game as it was all those years ago why don't you play with persimmon woods, blades etc? Why do you use a hybrid? To make the game easier.

To answer your question I can't answer for all GPS users only me. I don't lack confidence or the ability to calculate distances.

As for you answering my question you can't deny that a GPS would be quicker than waiting for you to "have a gander and pick a line and again judge distances and shot"!! 

I look at my SGX it shows me the hole layout, the distance to the front, middle & back so I don't need to take a look.

I would gladly play without markers for a bit of fun but when it comes to monthly medals I'm going to make sure I do everything possible to give me a good chance shooting level or below par.

Some people embrace technology, some people fear it.

user303554
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 21:48

i object to this thread a bit boys....asked a question in good faith for some advice...

and john i totally reject the "young" players bit..bit of an unfair stereotype?..ive always played by feel and so far its served me well.....also we are a product of society please be aware that kids of today do not use heavy leather balls to play football and have all kinds of boots...nor does the milkman drive a horse drawn cart........the "in my day" arguement is a poor one,......things change and products move on....if people dont welcome technology or its usefulness (or otherwise) thats fine stick to what you like but it could be argued advantage is gained by people who embrace this..maybe / maybe not.., .......i wanted opinion and for me this has gone on a tangent of who can type the best argument....i dont beleive theres complete proof to either side so lets get off the soapbox..no need for grandstanding

ill conclude that some dont like and some do...ill leave gps and rangefinder for now as thats my personal choice from the bits on here I could relate too..i do agree with john each shot is different but am interested as too my consistent distances which i certainly would have an idea of hitting 100 balls and measuring!! however id gladly play with someone with one and dont for one minute think it makes them lazy or a lesser player...

Last edit : Mon 5th Sep 2011 22:12
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 23:01

All,

As Gavin has quite rightly said, this thread has gone completely off topic.  Technology is always a hotly debated subject and the discussion on here has remained sensible and constructive.  I've started a new thread to continue the debate titled "Technology - Where should it stop?".  Please take the debate to there

As for the original subject Gavin, I would go GPS.  Whilst the rangefinder will give you a more accurate/exact distance, you do need line of sight and I would expect my shots to be inconsistent by a couple of yards each time and that would be similar to the difference seen in a GPS.

If you have a smartphone, try downloading one of the free apps such as Freecaddie to try it out before buying one

user52922
Reply : Mon 5th Sep 2011 23:08

If you reckon you play by feel, Gaving, then you certainly do not need a gps.

user77012
Reply : Tue 6th Sep 2011 12:16

I have had  both and sold both, I now love to tell users what the yardage is before the technology does! never more than a couple of yards out either way ,which is a closer tolerance than  I can hit a golf ball consistantly!laughhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/teeth_smile.gif" title="laugh" width="20" /> along with most other golfers! (if their honest with themselves)devilhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/devil_smile.gif" title="devil" width="20" />

So IMO, waste of money, but have no objections to anyone using them.

Gavin, try this bit of advice ,read it somewhere (Jackie Burke).Take a club you you are confident you can fly the green with then go down 1 for the middle and 2 for the front .

Remember most trouble is at the front of the greens, easier to putt back to  a front pin than play from a bunker.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 7th Sep 2011 14:20
user77012
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 14:44

And unfortunately this is the sort of BS, Hype,marketing dribble pedalled about and used to brainwash , fallen for it myself before nowangryhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/angry_smile.gif" title="angry" width="20" /> It tells you the yardage ,none of the below will be achieved by a gps or rangefinder.If it did the scratch players I associate with who can hit consistant distances would be off +4 now,but they aint.

• Have greater confidence in your LONG game
  • Improve your ACCURACY from the tee
  • Have greater confidence in your SHORT game
  • Improve your ACCURACY in the scoring zone
  • Get a Nikon Laser 350G today - Know your yardages / Lower your scores 

Last edit : Thu 8th Sep 2011 15:58
user26342
Reply : Thu 8th Sep 2011 21:00

Dave

• Have greater confidence in your SHORT game
  • Improve your ACCURACY in the scoring zone 

Disagree with the last 2, if you know how far you hit your wedges consistently, which you can use both to help you do this I would say this would help?

Also the scratch players who hit consistent yardages could be being hindered by a poor touch around the green or poor putting, so yes a GPS would not help them.

I'm sure at the time you had both a GPS & rangefinder you were using them for a purpose & found them useful. Just becuase your opinion has now changed doesn't make it wrong or stupid for those of us who continue to use them?

Last edit : Thu 8th Sep 2011 21:14

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top