Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Feedback - price ranges for golf

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 25th Aug 2011 21:53 | Last Reply

Just based on feedback of the Top 100 courses on Golfshake I am looking to implement a Top 100 under £20 , under £30 etc

therefore any feedback on the actual price ranges ? do these work ??

• up to £15
  • up to £20
  • up to £30
  • up to £40
  • up to £50
  • up to £100
  • over £100

re: Feedback - price ranges for golf
user407798
Reply : Thu 25th Aug 2011 22:44

I paid just £6 for a twilight 9 holes tonight at Perivale Park, Ealing and just made it round before could not see the ball. Thought that was good value!

I have noticed the prices can vary a lot according to when you want to play. Presume above is the "peak" rate say on weekend AMs.

Assume also above for 18 holes even on 9 hole courses.

user24437
Reply : Thu 25th Aug 2011 23:41

Not sure if you need to break it down to that much detail Darren, I'd suggest that £25, £50, £75 and £100 would be sufficient.  As you know, you can play a lot of decent courses in this area for under £25 and some real crackers for under £50 - but my feeling is that I wouldn't hesitate playing Morley, Breedon*, Oakmere etc for under £25 but would think about Horsley at £40.

It's just too difficult to differentiate between a course for £20 and one for £30.

*Having said that, Breedon appear to be doing one 4 ball slot a day for £8 per person - really got up the noses of the 4 ball behind us who'd just paid £20 each....

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 26th Aug 2011 08:43

these are guide prices ie what the course values it at during peak times and ignoring any society deals, 2 fore 1s etc etc

the idea being you can then see/search top courses up to price points

user303554
Reply : Fri 26th Aug 2011 13:05

aldersley green near chester..great course for £15.00..also walton hall municipal near warrington has been taken over..in great shape for £14.00

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 28th Aug 2011 16:38

It is a pity no one seems to have come up with "Golf Watch" for golfers. Just like "Petrol Watch".

Which course is the cheapest?

Which course is the cheapest in an area?

etc etc.

TheLyth

user331868
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 12:03

Also there will be a difference in price between peak times during the week and weekends, just played Abridge  last week £45.00 a round during the week, we got a deal where a 4-ball plays for the price of 3, so it worked out at £34.00 each, even at its original price it was well worth it as a treat, a fantastic course where they hold the regional qualifying for the Open, you cant play at week-ends members only.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 13:10

David, doesn't 'cheapest' and all these 'special' offers devalue the actual course in the long run ?  Promotions are fine so long as you know the normal price and like Christopher says the course lives up to what the full green fee is.

In terms of this it's actually what I am trying to achieve, Abridge would be classed in the £40-£50 as this is what the full price green fee is and therefore should live up to regardless of any £34pp offer for a fourball

user24437
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 13:14

Lyth

you could always use tee-off times or teetimes, that's what I do for last minute games.  Currently showing £3.50 to £11.00 on teetimes last minute for tomorrow, including Skegness North Shore (top class links course), 11am for £8.00, normally £31.50! 

Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 17:31

Darren, Tim,

I agree that the price of a Green-Fee doesn't always match the course and there are offers out there.

But when you see Royal Birkdale charge £165pr while Hillside charge half that, it is easy to see why some courses are said to be expensive.

I think the cost of a round only comes into the choice of where to visit when cost is a factor. Listing courses in a price range will help these people.

TheLyth

Last edit : Tue 30th Aug 2011 17:32
Reply : Tue 30th Aug 2011 17:48

For Golfers looking for cheap golf, you can always look at competitions.

Scarborough Golf Week (held next week) is an example, open to all Club Golfers with an active Hcp. Playing Filey, Whitby, Scarborough North Cliff and South Cliff. Costs £15 for each event and 72hole prizes. That is £60 for £124 worth of Green-Fees and you have the chance of winning prizes. Another good factor is that because it is the Golf Week the clubs make sure the courses are in good nick too.

TheLyth

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top