Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Disabled golf - do we need it?

Posted by: user56822 | Sun 21st Aug 2011 22:00 | Last Reply

This weekend I had the pleasure of assisting at the Disabled British Open at the East Sussex National at Uckfield: it was a humbling experience.

But, as I followed the competitors making light of their various disabilities and enjoying the heat of competititon, the thought occurred to me - why do we need separate competitions for disabled golfers?

The beauty of the handicapping system that is, as far as I'm aware, unique to this game is that it takes account of the widely varying abilities (and disabilities) of all golfers. It caters for all abilities. So if local clubs simply make the effort to integrate disabled golfers - by making reasonable adaptations to facilities where necessary, and by agreeing local regulations/rules where, for instance, para-golfers are unable to enter bunkers or need to bring their vehicles/buggies on to greens - then, unlike so many other sports, golf is ideally placed to see disabled golfers competing alongside us, their (more or less!) able bodied colleagues.

This was my first experience of disabled golf, so I'm sure the subject must have been aired before. So what's the answer? Why not fully integrate disabled golf into the mainstream golfing community?

re: Disabled golf - do we need it?
user407798
Reply : Mon 22nd Aug 2011 03:05

I think it is good sometimes to just compete amongst your peers. My main sport is running and at age 44 sometimes I compete in "masters" events against other "older" runners. It is a rare chance to actually be competitive - and not just against handicap...

Also, for disabled golfers, I am kind of assuming 28 handicap may not be enough in all cases to fairly compete in club comps with able bodied golfers?

Last edit : Mon 22nd Aug 2011 03:08

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top