Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Irons

Posted by: user399980 | Wed 17th Aug 2011 13:41 | Last Reply

hi guys

im sure i can see what the reply to this would be, 'it all depends on the player', but im gonna ask for advice anyway.

my hadicap is about 27ish, need to update some rounds on here. im young and quite powerful with a fast swing speed.

i have a sety of blade irons atm that i am comfortable with the pw and 9 and 8 but cant really be confident with my 7,6,5,4. often with the shots going off tarket to the left. and a little shorter than shoud be.

im looking for a new set of iron and was looking at nike mach speed or callaway x24.

any tips?

thanks

re: Irons
user250721
Reply : Wed 17th Aug 2011 19:16

At the level your playing at I'd suggest spending the money on more lessons than a new set of clubs.

You would probably get a lot more out of lessons than new irons at this stage, then maybe look at the situation again 18 months or so down the line.

user250721
Reply : Thu 18th Aug 2011 11:53

Liam

Just backs up what I said in my previous post. This guy is paid to sell you clubs, he mentioned one thing and you instantly saw an improvment in your game. Lessons are the way forward.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 19th Aug 2011 11:47

My advice is to set yourself a budget and try as many sets as you can within that budget. You will find two or three that you like better than the others. Then on the day you will be buying go back to american golf and try all of them together on the monitor and see which gives the best result. They should then check your fitting needs and order them from the manufacturer for you. Remember that the fitting is important, the name stamped on the clubs isn't. The week you wait for the custom fitted clubs to arrive will probably do more to help your game than the upgrade to new clubs and should be included in the price

user16106
Reply : Fri 19th Aug 2011 12:25

What is your budget?

Dave CAC handed Geordie

user52922
Reply : Sat 20th Aug 2011 12:05

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, Liam. You asked for help and advice and then decided that you are competent enough to decide yourself. Perhaps it would be have been better if you had not posted in the first place.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 20th Aug 2011 12:16

I think that there are two different things here Liam.  The question is, do you want to improve your game or your score?

If you want to improve your game then lessons is the way forward.  That is nothing to do with your handicap or how long you have been playing, it is just a statement of fact.  The pros work with coaches all the time to try to get an edge and anyone who has had lessons will tell you they improve your game

If you want to improve your score then getting more forgiving clubs will help.  Blades are more suited to better players as they require a consistent swing to get the best out of them and it will take you a while to get that.  Game improver irons are not designed to improve your game, they are designed to improve your score by 'forgiving' a little inconsistency and still hitting the ball straight.  They allow you to develop your game without spending most of your time in the rough. 

From what I can glean from your posts on this thread, the new irons will help you to enjoy the game a little more and improve your scores.  My suggestion is if you have the money and willingness to get some new irons they will help, but when you have had them a few months and got used to them, book yourself some lessons as this will help you to take the next step.  See my post at 11:47am on Friday for my advice on choosing some new irons (only my opinion and your choice if you take it)

user250721
Reply : Sun 21st Aug 2011 10:58

Liam

Its not great to have a pop at people that are just trying to give advice. I have been in excatly the same situation as you find yourself in now and was just trying to give you my experiences as I had also posted a similar thread not so long ago.

You start you post with "but im going to ask for advice anyway" and a few of us gave you advice. It it wasnt advice you was after then maybe you should have just said you want new irons which ones shall I buy, to which I would have again given you the advice to get into a store and try as many out as possible.

Just trying to help.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top