Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

handicap system at golf clubs....

Posted by: user303554 | Wed 17th Aug 2011 11:44 | Last Reply

just a post to gauge opinion really...

i left my club in jan due to impending birth of my beautiful little daughter..anyway the newness has worn off (i joke) and my beautiful dragon (girlfriend) is fine with me going back to the club..moreso now shes realised the 80 a month it would cost is a lot less than the green fees im paying..anyway not to deviate too much...

i was off 16 when i left....i am now playing to 11, not to say i will there however ive hit some form and am making the most of it and playing more...i contacted the handicap secretary to announce my return and he informed me in line with congu my 16 handicap was official and active..

im proud to say that i advised him of my form and requested 11.2 and he duly obliged..i dont know if i can play to it there but thats irrelevant...i know a gent who throws shots at end of comps if he wont win to secure a handicap?! for me the term "golfer" isnt appropriate to this person...when you can utter the words cheat with confidence something is wrong...bandit is a different thing...but how do we prevent this other than a rottweiler for a secretary???.... i personally want to be recognised as a good golfer and id love to get low...different people play for different things, some to win comps / for fun or just for a social.. being offered 16  im certain the next comp i entered id have been right there...doesnt seem fair but im sure many other people may have taken it?? im not self praising just highlighting a potential issue for club golfers..... should all clubs have policies where if away over a month you play for your handicap again?? should congu have anything? do they? any comments??

re: handicap system at golf clubs....
user417698
Reply : Wed 17th Aug 2011 12:01

A word in the ear of the Secretary might be good idea, any pattern would be pretty obvious over a few medals if his score seems to go to hell over the last few holes every time. As to lapsing handicap, I think if you don't play for a year, you need a new handicap, but no higher than 2 above your last one. If like you, one is a very honest player and genuinely wants to get lower, just ask for your old one back. I'm pleased the lay-off helped you, I'm not so lucky.  I had a lay-off for four years and have gone up from13.6. Three medals to get new handicap of 17.5, then eight consecutive crappy scores, now 18.3. Only one round per week is no use, as I now live too far away (35 miles) from my course to justify midweek and weekend practice,but i have now sourced a local solution.

user303554
Reply : Wed 17th Aug 2011 12:05

thanks andrew..im for honesty but at the same time im not the type to throw it in..i think a few others have but its a tough one to prove..im sure these people exist in all sports / competition...

and it wasnt so much time away as a commitment to nt play as much by leaving the club...it meant i hit the range more in lunch and for a quick hour and it slowed me down when i played..i appreciated it more, thought a bit more and didnt take each round lightly if that makes sense??  and my recent 30th treated me to new custom fit irons..i was always a sceptic and maybe its placebo effect but ive never hit the ball better...

user417698
Reply : Wed 17th Aug 2011 12:20

Cheers, Gavin. I'll try to take on your philosophy. Appreciation, and enjoy. Might be worth a try.

user355541
Reply : Wed 17th Aug 2011 19:43

All praise to you for wanting your handicap to be a true reflection of your current playing ability and to your Handicap Secretary for being pragmatic in acting on your submission.

The CONGU rules state that your handicap should be re-instated at the previous level if you return to club membership within 6 months of resigning membership. From the date of your posting, it would seem that more than 6 months have elapsed  and common sense has prevailed.

Now you have to live up to 11.2 - best of luck.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top