Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Local Clubs Info (Belfast)

Posted by: user250298 | Mon 15th Aug 2011 17:44 | Last Reply

Hi all,

Considering the possibility of joining a local club and wondered if there were any members (Holywood, Castlereagh Hill, Mount Ober, Shandon) who could give me some info on the club, how good it is, restaurant,bar,course,other members(!) etc. 

It's a pretty steep outlay to join up and I'm wanting to join a club that is going to enhance the enjoyment in the game!

Thanks.

re: Local Clubs Info (Belfast)
user321680
Reply : Tue 16th Aug 2011 13:01

hello John

Im from belfast myself and can tell you what I know about the courses you mention.

Castlereagh hills - Nice enough course but very short. Front 9 is only about 10 years old. Clubhouse seems to have very poor atmosphere although it's nice and modern and food was decent when i was there. (annual membership fees £600 no joining fee))

Mount ober - Again short course and very hilly. Out of bounds comes in to play a lot around it. Slicers rack up big scores on this course. small clubhouse and I believe they are really struggling for members at the moment. (annual membership fees £600 no joining fee)

Shandon - From what i've been told (never played it myself) is probably the best course out of the 4. the club itself are in severe financial difficulties due to course upgrades. no idea about club atmosphere. (Membership fees £950 joining fee £250)

Holywood - Dont know much about it except my uncle was a member for years and always spoke fondly of it. they recently had good membership offers running. People describe the course as very hilly.

Shandon would be my choice out of the four but if i were you I'd play on them all first and maybe have a meal in the restaurant.

user321680
Reply : Tue 16th Aug 2011 13:06

sorry should have said to you as well to try Rockmount in carryduff. Very well kept course. It's only about 15 years old and when it fully matures will be one of best course in the greater belfast area. it has a good mix of holes to test players of different abilities. only downside is that it has a joining fee of £1100 and annual fees are about £800 (i think).

user250298
Reply : Tue 16th Aug 2011 13:09

Hi John,

Cheers for the info, great help. 

john

user378236
Reply : Sun 21st Aug 2011 00:21

John, im a member of shandon and if u know ur golf ull know its one of the best courses in belfast behind belvoir and malone. Yes it had cashflow problems but show me a golfclub or business that hasnt? The club is in a far better state now with 90 new members this year alone. There is fees for 5,6 and 7 day membership to suit urself. No real joining fees apart from 250 for the 7 day. Extremely friendly atmosphere about the place with a great clubhouse and good food. I used to be a junior at mount ober years ago and it still hasnt changed. They refuse to pump money into the club. Castlereagh hills is a council course and its cheap so u get wat u pay for. Holywood is a nice course but not always in good condition. Hope this helps. Chris

user250298
Reply : Sun 21st Aug 2011 07:05

Chris,

Thanks for the info. Would you know, by any chance the membership fees for 5,6,7 day memberships?

Shandon would be my nearest course, after Holywood and is one that does interest. I've tried a few times to check out details on the website but its been 'coming soon' for a good while now.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

user378236
Reply : Sun 21st Aug 2011 20:27

John, A 5 day membership is 650 approx, 6 day is 720 and 7 day is 955 with 250 joining fee. If your interested in joining ring the club office and ask to be sent an application via email etc. Chris.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top