Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

You know you're getting better at golf when...

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 6th Aug 2011 23:39 | Last Reply

I played in my first roll-up at my club today after being given a playing handicap.  The usual £1 in the pot kind of thing with random four-balls.  As usual, there were side bets going on and we paired off and played a matchplay in our four-ball too. 

We got onto the 8th tee with me up first after getting a birdie 2 on the 7th and my partner says to me: -

"You need another of them on here, everyone else gets a shot"

"What do you mean?" I say.  "It's SI 1, I get a shot too"

"Not for the matchplay" he says.  "Everyone is playing off you"

It's at this point I realise that I am the lowest handicapper in my four-ball.  In theory, I'm the best golfer in a quite experienced group.  That's some scary stuff. 

This for me was one of those moments when you realise you are getting better.  My round, which had been somewhere between mediocre and poor until that point, improved as I got that little fillip. 

So has this happened to you?  Have you had a moment that has made you realise that actually you're getting there?  Go on, complete the sentence

• "You know you're getting better at golf when......"

re: You know you're getting better at golf when...
user40826
Reply : Sun 7th Aug 2011 08:48

Two things recently have made me think actullay its starting to come together.  

- I was on the range yesterday going through my warm up before my round and two gents arrived and started hitting balls a few bays behind me.  They went through about 100 balls in less than 10 minutes! I then heard one of them say "watch that bloke, he's got a beautiful swing." Felt myself smile and stand a little taller.  They stayed and watched me finish my basket before wishing me luck and wandering off.

- Was playing on my own a week ago and I was let through by a few seniors on the 8th as "they didn't want to ruin the rythm of a better player"  I thanked them and hit a beautiful shot down the middle of the 8th, which they applauded!  I nearly tipped my cap, but I thought I'd look a fool

As you can tell things are going well at the moment

user106712
Reply : Sun 7th Aug 2011 09:11

Why do I need to get better ? I have a handicap and a hybrid and a 460cc driver and cavity back offset irons that make all my bad shots good. You only need to get better if you are a "proper golfer" with hickory shafts and 50cc persimmon drivers and bladed irons and scratch handicap etc.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 7th Aug 2011 11:33

"You know you're getting better at golf when the elite players ask YOU to join THEM.

TheLyth

user410273
Reply : Sun 7th Aug 2011 12:55

When you finish 18 holes with the ball you started with. When you haven't used the ball retriever for months. When you haven't snagged you trousers on a bush for at least 3 holes.

user131525
Reply : Sun 7th Aug 2011 13:53

...when your handicap goes down and you don't spend a few minutes calculating the date that all those 0.1s will add up to give you a shot back!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 7th Aug 2011 17:07

When people stop laughing as you arrive at the course!

user410273
Reply : Sun 7th Aug 2011 19:08

When the Samaritan's don't recognise your voice

user26342
Reply : Sun 7th Aug 2011 20:51

when shooting in the low 80's in no longer a target & just the norm.

when you no longer hope your ball goes straight & it goes where your aiming.

user398345
Reply : Sun 7th Aug 2011 21:48

You play another round with the best golfer in the society (8 H/C) after an interval of about 4 months, and he says "Wow! you've really come on, and I'm still giving you 20 shots! Then later in the day, at the President's day prize presentation, you're name is called out for the "Most Improved Player" award.

Really made my day big-time! I knew that I was getting better from my scores, and realistic assessment of all my hours of practice on the range & course. But it really means something when others acknowledge the fact!  

user79118
Reply : Sun 7th Aug 2011 21:51

when you only have to walk half the distance you used to do to complete the 18 holes. Bye bye Army golf.

user77012
Reply : Thu 11th Aug 2011 09:49

I'm about to start a thread "You know when your getting worse" point 1 collector! cryinghttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/cry_smile.gif" title="crying" width="20" />, but well done everyone eles.

user16106
Reply : Thu 11th Aug 2011 12:13

Cos under normal conditions, I couldnt shoot more than 99 if I tried. ( famous last words, big match on saturday )

Dave CAC handed Geordie

user320021
Reply : Thu 11th Aug 2011 17:34

When you care what golf ball you use.

user378236
Reply : Sun 21st Aug 2011 00:32

when you shoot under your handicap twice in 3 days. 1st time 7 shots under and today 2 shots under in a stroke competition.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top