Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Frustration - any help please?

Posted by: user399431 | Sun 31st Jul 2011 12:00 | Last Reply

Hi guys!

As you may be aware I had somewhat of an aha moment the other day and realised that I was not concentrating on keeping my club on plane enough.My driver is now straight as a die, and if anything has a little draw now but since altering my swing plane my iron play has suffered and I am hitting the ball inconsistently.

Previously i was making good contact consistently with my irons but occasionally had the odd slice with my longer irons. I understand how the out to in swing was causing me to slice but i am now frustrated with the inconsostent comtact.

I had a lesson with my pro yesterday and I am on track with rectifying the issue but could anybody recommend a good drill for keeping the club on plane ensuring a good impact position?Thanks in advance, Matt

Last edit : Mon 1st Aug 2011 10:44
re: Frustration - any help please?
user52922
Reply : Sun 31st Jul 2011 12:36

Matt, as you are probably aware the woods are swung differently to an iron and usually when one works and the other doesn't it is because of this.

As Ivan has already pointed out, poor drivers who push and slice usually hit the ball on a descending path, like they hit their irons.

Some find the two differences hard to comprehend especially if their hand/eye co-ordination is not that good.

No matter where I place my ball in relation to my body I still manage to make a clean strike, this is because I play with my hands and my eyes and leave mechanics to the modern player who really believes that a mechanical process is the answer.

Last edit : Sun 31st Jul 2011 15:24
re: Frustration - any help please?
user399431
Reply : Mon 1st Aug 2011 10:44

Hi Ivan/Andy

Thanks for the tips - it's just frustrating how little fixes once you start thinking about them affect your swing! I felt prior to my lesson that mny iron play was consistent and accurate, in actual fact I was coming slightly out to in causing a slight slice which I compensated for with my set up.

I now make fantastic contact and the ball has superb ball flight when I hit it right but the consistency has dropped due to me thinking about my swing path too much. Rather than it being sub-contious I am now thinking about all the factors discussed during my lesson.

I have no doubt if I persist it will pay dividends - I just don't know how long it will take to become second nature?

Thanks Matt

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top