Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Major aha moment! Just realised how important swing plane actually is!

Posted by: user399431 | Sat 30th Jul 2011 10:58 | Last Reply

Hi guys and good morning to you all on this fine Saturday!

Over the last couple of days I have been working on a slice that has been having a major effect on my cards - After advice from the friendly forum and a pro lesson I adopted a different approach to my swing and within the first 10-15 balls with my driver my slice disappeared!

I then looked at the swing path with my irons and adopted the same principals with relation to swing plane (obviously slightly different for each club) and hey presto! I feel like I have had a serious aha moment and my confidence has soared.

I simply cannot wait to go for my lesson this afternoon and see the impact on my play!

Thanks to this forum and it's great members and with my lessons I feel my game will now progress in leaps and bounds - I also now have far more understanding of how you could potentially shape shots if needs be (too advanced for me yet!) and a far greater understanding of the swing mechanics in general.

It wasn't till this was pointed out to me that I realised how wrong my swing plane was and how the impact of getting it right can change your game completely.

Thanks again guys and any further advice would be totally appreciated

Matt

Last edit : Sat 30th Jul 2011 11:45
re: Major aha moment! Just realised how important swing plane actually is!
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 30th Jul 2011 11:13

Matthew, I'm so glad you've finally 'Got it' with your golf swing.

There is no greater feeling than swinging your golf club and hitting the ball right out of the middle of the clubface, then watching a perfect ball flight.

Hope you can keep going with it.

Russ

Last edit : Sat 30th Jul 2011 11:47
user399431
Reply : Sat 30th Jul 2011 11:38

Thanks Russ - yes it's an amazing feeling to strike a ball with very little effort 180 -190 yards and the ball to end up 10 ft from the pin and also have perfect ball flight with no signs of a slice. That was an inconsistent stat for me but I feel that with my little aha moment I can really push my game forward and it will become a regular occurance(I hope!).

I have an appointment with my course pro this afternoon and I am looking forward to putting the new found swing path into action.

It's amazing how a broom handle laid on the floor can change your swing path and make you contiously feel every part of your swing - it's also quite scary how if you don't know where you are going wrong you carry on doing the same things over and over again.

My recent lessons have also givern me total confidence in course pro's - The difference in my game is fantastic after only 3 lessons and that has cost me £75!!! It makes every round you play after more enjoyable as you simply start playing better when you know where you are going wrong.

I can definitely recommend David Sutcliffe who is the Pro at Lancaster for lessons if you are local - he is a sterling chap and very easy to relate to.

I will keep you updated of the progress!!!

Thanks Matt

Last edit : Sat 30th Jul 2011 11:47
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 30th Jul 2011 11:56

Just under three years ago I joined my first golf club.

Had been playing for a while and decided to take the plunge.

Started with a handicap of 26 and am now down to a 13 handicap at my golf club.

There are two reasons for this drop in my handicap, playing plenty of golf and more importantly lessons.

It is only because of the golf lessons I have taken has my handicap come down.  I now know how to hold a club properly, align myself with the target and to make a good swing. 

Without these lessons I would have carried on hacking my way around the golf course, with one good round every three months or so!

I cannot say how much I think that having proper lessons will help to improve your game.

At each golf club in this country there must be at least three or four members there who buy a new driver every year.  They do this thinking it is going to improve their game, wrong!

If they spent the money from the driver on lessons then they would be able to swing their old driver properly!

Give any club to a golfer with a good swing and they will be able to use that club, but try it the other way around!

I had the shanks last weekend and had a lesson on Thursday evening.  Swing fault fixed and now I'm back to hitting the ball well again.

There are two important things that I try to do with my golf swing

1) A good takeaway.  The one thing everyone can get correct is the takeaway. 

2) Swing plane.  When I start my downswing I try to get the butt of the golf club pointing at the ball for the first six inches. 

When I make a good takeaway and point the butt of my golf club at the ball at the start of my downswing I hit a good, straight shot.

Russ

user399431
Reply : Sat 30th Jul 2011 12:03

I absolutely agree with everything you say Russ!

Lessons are without doubt the major factor in my improvements - from swing plane to ball positioning and everything else!

I also think joining a club pushes you to take lessons and it's noty till you take them you realise your errors. With Lancaster being a weel known and difficult course I didn't want to hack my way round - and my ultimate goal is to get to low single figures. I know this will take commitment and lots of practice but I love the game and I am prepared for that!

If you are ever Lancaster way give me a shout and I would be happy to show you the Lancaster course and have 18 holes.

Thanks Matt

Last edit : Sat 30th Jul 2011 12:05
user399431
Reply : Sat 30th Jul 2011 12:07

Hi Sanders - yes your imput was one of the major factors in sorting my slice out!!

I am extremely grateful for this and if you are ever in the Lancaster area there will be a round on me and made ever a light berverage afterwards!!! LOL

Thanks for your help!!!

Matt

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top